You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old May 1st, 2022, 02:52 PM   #1
phuz
United States

PanelView Plus 7 Perf - Not a valid device

Using FT View Studio v12, I am getting an error when trying to download to (and also upload from) a PanelView Plus 7 Perf 10" (firmware version 10). It tells me it is not a valid device. Yes the project settings are for a PV+ 7 Perf. I've only ever seen this when accidentally selecting the wrong PV type.

I had to quit calculus cold turkey. After the the first derivative, then the second derivative, I had no control.
Old May 1st, 2022, 06:53 PM   #2
I_Automation
United States

Check the WhoIs in RSLinx.

If the driver isn't running, is looking at the wrong port, etc it will show devices previously connected to, but either Comm's Error or Unknown Device

Some Jobs Are Best Started With A Sawzall And A Dumpster On Castors
Old May 1st, 2022, 06:54 PM   #3
ASF
Lifetime Supporting Member
Australia

Usually I see this error when you drill too far down in the FT Linx windows (i.e. if you select the PVP, then expand down to select the various levels underneath the top-level display of the PVP), or when I try to download a file from a network drive.

What do you mean, it's not a very helpful error message? /s
Old May 1st, 2022, 07:48 PM   #4
plvlce
United States

Check what ASF said, I've definitely seen that error when downloading from/uploading to a network drive (or something that Windows might interpret as a network drive).

dmroeder has also documented an issue where a problem with the RSLinx/FTLinx setup (of the .mer file and panel, not of your PC) can cause that error message; see this post.
Old May 2nd, 2022, 04:46 PM   #5
johnd_125
United States

I assume the PV is showing up in your who active in the Transfer Utility? Is your ethernet driver "browsing"? You can ping the PV?

Like ASF, I only remember seeing this when I accidentally selected the wrong device in the Transfer Utility to Upload or Download to. A PLC, or the wrong HMI with a very similar IP address, something like that.

When you add the PV+ to your RSLinx Enterprise, you usually have multiple revisions to choose from. Did you select V. 10? Or, did the driver find the PV on its own? I've still had it work when I didn't have the correct revision.
Old May 3rd, 2022, 09:15 AM   #6
phuz
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd_125 View Post
I assume the PV is showing up in your who active in the Transfer Utility? Is your ethernet driver "browsing"? You can ping the PV?

Like ASF, I only remember seeing this when I accidentally selected the wrong device in the Transfer Utility to Upload or Download to. A PLC, or the wrong HMI with a very similar IP address, something like that.

When you add the PV+ to your RSLinx Enterprise, you usually have multiple revisions to choose from. Did you select V. 10? Or, did the driver find the PV on its own? I've still had it work when I didn't have the correct revision.
Yes, it shows up and I can ping it. I didn't have to manually add it because being on the same subnet, the Ethernet/IP driver automatically sees it. Definitely not selecting the wrong device.

I had to quit calculus cold turkey. After the the first derivative, then the second derivative, I had no control.
Old May 3rd, 2022, 09:26 AM   #7
phuz
United States

I can't even update the firmware on the terminal because whether I select the direct IP connection or FT Linx, it says "cannot connect to remote terminal"
Hmm...

Old May 3rd, 2022, 09:42 AM   #8
I_Automation
United States

Can you post a screenshot of RSLinx showing the driver and connection tree?

Some Jobs Are Best Started With A Sawzall And A Dumpster On Castors
Old May 3rd, 2022, 09:44 AM   #9
phuz
United States

Here's the issue. Found a KB article on it. Had to delete the FT Linx config in the PV itself, then immediately I was able to download/upload/update firmware. Updated to FW12 and it's fat, dumb, and happy.
Hopefully this helps someone else along the way.

Old May 3rd, 2022, 11:28 AM   #10
dmroeder
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuz View Post
Here's the issue. Found a KB article on it. Had to delete the FT Linx config in the PV itself, then immediately I was able to download/upload/update firmware. Updated to FW12 and it's fat, dumb, and happy.
Hopefully this helps someone else along the way.
After you do that, then download, are you able to download again?

From my experience, this issue actually resides in the FTL configuration in your PanelView application. So once you download and replace communications, the issue happens all over again. The root of the issue needs to be resolved in your FactoryTalk application by deleting the FTL/RSL Enterprise server.

Deleting the FTL config only gets you buy until you download and replace communication.
Old May 3rd, 2022, 12:28 PM   #11
phuz
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmroeder View Post
After you do that, then download, are you able to download again?

From my experience, this issue actually resides in the FTL configuration in your PanelView application. So once you download and replace communications, the issue happens all over again. The root of the issue needs to be resolved in your FactoryTalk application by deleting the FTL/RSL Enterprise server.

Deleting the FTL config only gets you buy until you download and replace communication.
Yes. After the FW was updated, it was fine for all subsequent downloads.

Old September 23rd, 2022, 02:35 PM   #12
asteroide
Spain

Arrow

Hello Friends

I have the same problem but with FT View Studio v10 in PanelView Plus 1000. "The source selected is not a valid device.

I have been working with several HMIīs, uploading/downloading without problem.

Suddenly this message appears, so I can download to HMI but I canīt upload the application.

If in the HMI I load a older application and run, I can upload again, but If I modify this application and download, I canīt upload again.

I canīt upgrade to FT View Studio, y need to work with version 10.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance.
Old September 24th, 2022, 06:57 AM   #13
phuz
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteroide View Post
Hello Friends

I have the same problem but with FT View Studio v10 in PanelView Plus 1000. "The source selected is not a valid device.

I have been working with several HMIīs, uploading/downloading without problem.

Suddenly this message appears, so I can download to HMI but I canīt upload the application.

If in the HMI I load a older application and run, I can upload again, but If I modify this application and download, I canīt upload again.

I canīt upgrade to FT View Studio, y need to work with version 10.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance.
Update the firmware in the terminal.

Old September 24th, 2022, 07:23 PM   #14
asteroide
Spain

So, Can I update the terminal firmware to v12 and with FT View Studio v10 download applications with v10?

Thanks again.
Old September 25th, 2022, 07:24 AM   #15
phuz
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteroide View Post
So, Can I update the terminal firmware to v12 and with FT View Studio v10 download applications with v10?

Thanks again.
Yep!

Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum