LAN wifi question

neilm

Hello everyone,

I am an Automation Engineer in a manufacturing facility. There are multiple LANs here. I am interested in knowing whether it is possible to use a single router as an access point to multiple networks (since the router has multiple orange ethernet ports).

Regards,

NeilM

You will have to contact the IS/IT department for that answer or the one who programmed your switches.

It all depends on how your network is programmed, what the rules are, brand of switches, and what you are trying to do.

james

Okay, here the switches used are unprogrammed, plug-and-play fashioned. The computers connected to it though have a specific Default gateway. So the question is, can one router have multiple default gateways?

That's kinda like asking "will my car go over 100 mph without going into overdrive?" There are a lot of variables that would need to be answered before answering that question. However, there are WiFi Access Points that can be configured to act a multiple Access Points to multiple different WiFi networks.
Having said all of that, you're asking a simple question that doesn't have a simple answer. Yes it's possible, whether or not you have equipment that will support it or not, only your IT department can answer.

[C]an one router have multiple default gateways?

Short answer: No.

You can make routing tables, but it is not straight forward and it is even possible to do what you are asking with a inexpensive wireless router. You will need expensive managed switches to do what you want, and it is not a simple task for the layman.