LAN Fails... Quick Solution: WiFi?

Lamboom

Lifetime Supporting Member
Recently the Broadcom Netxtreme 57xx Gb Controller became defective in my Dell E630 Windows XP, running S7 TIA Portal V11.

So, I couldn't go online, via Ethernet, with the S7 1200 system, in order to make a few changes to the Project... sniff!

An interesting idea was suggested: Use a WiFi router, and connect via the working WiFi network in the PC.

Is there a way to connect a WiFi HotSpot directly to the system, and allow a PC in range to log on using TIA portal, and it's WiFi controller?

Regards, Michael

I am not familiar with the S7 so there might be an issue with that I'm not aware of, but I have done the same thing with several other systems (mostly Omron) using wireless bridges or routers with wireless access.

That could probably work, but when faced with a similar problem, I ran over to Best Buy and bought a USB to Ethernet adapter for < $30.

Thanks for the info... it's the details that I need. I assume a "USB" to Ethernet adapter" is plugged into the PC's USB port.. and the Ethernet is a cable running to the Ethernet switch in the Siemens Automation system. Not sure why that would work. I'm probably not understanding something. :) Regards, Michael

In my case, when I plugged in the USB to Ethernet adapter, windows automagically found a driver for it and then it appeared just like any other "Local Area Connection" in my Windows 7 PC under network and sharing center. I just set the IP address and away she went.

Hi CLX .. That looks like what I'm thinking ... but the WiFi has to plug into the Automation system using an Ethernet cable (short) .. then, the PC connects to the WiFi signal (wirelessly), and would not be supplying USB power to the unit. The PC does not originate the "hot spot", the automation system does. The PC should be able to find the "hot spot", connect and go online with the Automation system using the programming software ... S7 TIA portal.

In my case, when I plugged in the USB to Ethernet adapter, windows automagically found a driver for it and then it appeared just like any other "Local Area Connection" in my Windows 7 PC under network and sharing center. I just set the IP address and away she went.

Lemmie see if I'm getting this.. you are plugging a device into USB, Windows provides a driver .. and the other end of this thing has an Ethernet connector (RG45?) .. you are saying I can now run an Ethernet cable to the Automation system (as I would normally do on the Ethernet LAN) .. and I should be able to log into the system, using the programming software as "if" the cable was in the normal LAN socket, hooked up to a Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gb Controller?

Last edited:
Lemmie see if I'm getting this.. you are plugging a device into USB, Windows provides a driver .. and the other end of this thing has an Ethernet connector (RG45?) .. you are saying I can now run an Ethernet cable to the Automation system (as I would normally do on the Ethernet LAN) .. and I should be able to log into the system, using the programming software as "if" the cable was in the normal LAN socket, hooked up to a Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gb Controller?

You are just adding an additional NIC to your PC that just so happens interface using USB. As far as the siemens software is concerned, it just wants to use a NIC (Network Interface Card). It doesn't matter if its built on the motherboard, connected via a PCI port, connected via USB, or connected via a flux capacitor, it just wants to find a NIC that it can talk to.

Lamboom,

The "easy" way to do this is to get a USB to Ethernet adapter. PLug it into your laptop via USB, and it gives you a new Ethernet port on a dongle. Plug that into your PLC network the normal way. There shouldn't be any settings or config necessary, besides choosing the new network interface in Portal.

You can also do it with wireless. Get a cheap wireless access point, and plug it into your PLCs ethernet network. Make sure to include things on the internal side, not the internet side. THen you can connect from your laptop to the new wireless router. However, there might be some settings involved to get the setup working (SSID, IP address, bridge mode, allow wireless connection to network) depending on what brand and how it is configured. In portal, you'll need to select your wireless card to do downloads.

You are just adding an additional NIC to your PC that just so happens interface using USB. As far as the siemens software is concerned, it just wants to use a NIC (Network Interface Card). It doesn't matter if its built on the motherboard, connected via a PCI port, connected via USB, or connected via a flux capacitor, it just wants to find a NIC that it can talk to.
I knew I had a bad Flux Capacitor... Thanks!

Lamboom,

The "easy" way to do this is to get a USB to Ethernet adapter. PLug it into your laptop via USB, and it gives you a new Ethernet port on a dongle. Plug that into your PLC network the normal way. There shouldn't be any settings or config necessary, besides choosing the new network interface in Portal.

You can also do it with wireless. Get a cheap wireless access point, and plug it into your PLCs ethernet network. Make sure to include things on the internal side, not the internet side. THen you can connect from your laptop to the new wireless router. However, there might be some settings involved to get the setup working (SSID, IP address, bridge mode, allow wireless connection to network) depending on what brand and how it is configured. In portal, you'll need to select your wireless card to do downloads.

Thanks MK42 .. Both of those ideas sound workable.. Your Fine help is much appreciated