Regarding DC motor drivers and PLC

Karan2905

I have to control a bi- directional dc motor. The whole control of dc motor would be through a motor driver that would be connected to PLC. The motor drivers are very costly and don't fit my budget. So suggest me something so that i can create a motor driver by myself or any other solution to my problem. Also the motor driver must be Compatible with the PLC.

It would be a small dc motor ranging from 1.5 Volts to 12 volts. The application of motor would be only to turn clockwise 90 degrees and then turn anticlockwise 90 degrees so it can be on the initial position after a specific time period. There is no certain speed requirement but speed must be medium.

So the cheap way is to choose a combined motor and gearbox that gives the output speed you want. Use relays to control the direction the motor runs. Let the PLC control the relays.

But as we know that motor drive not only controls the speed of a motor but also protects the motors form tear down . Also it increase the voltage required to run the motor and controls the direction of motor. Can a relay would be able to control all these function that a motor driver controls?

No, two relays would just control the direction of the motor but would be cheap. If you want to control the speed you will have to pay more. Not sure what 'tear down' is so I can't help with that part.

Use a H-Bridge circuit driven with PWM and a basic opto encoder. This will do what you want and only requires some basic electronic knowledge.

Last edited: