1766-L32BXBA v21.02 browser interface

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have a device listed above that when viewed with a browser only says "HTTP URL Bad"

This started after the update to 21.02 and I would suspect it is a security "feature" that is new to v21 and was poorly implemented. Can anyone confirm that and what is needed to correct it?

I only use the browser to see if its alive- no manipulation of data so I don't need a sign on prompt - though that may be inevitable since its a security thing.

No Response at all to HTTPS... I am driving there today I will try it locally to see if the cellular modem is in the way.
But what changed with the firmware revision that did this?

I can't tell you in detail because I don't have inside information for a MicroLogix 1400 to experiment with.

I do know that MicroLogix 1400 has gone to a Series C controller, which adds some security features that pull up the ladder behind some old weaknesses in the way RSLogix and the MicroLogix controller handled passwords.

I would not be surprised if RA also patched some holes or made some changes to the web interface. The Release Notes do say that with version 21.006 firmware you are required to change the default Web password. That had been only a recommendation popup on v15 and v16.

This is the sort of thing where Wireshark is your Swiss Army knife; you can compare your connection attempt over the cellular modem to your local connection.

One thing that comes to mind that isn't MicroLogix-specific is that the Default Gateway might have been reset when you upgraded the controller, and it might not be able to respond to messages that come from outside the network.

What sort of cellular modem do you use ? Does it have a VPN device built in ?

For your telemetry-dependent business, a careful understanding of the effect of the new password features is going to be important. My understanding is that an Enhanced Password doesn't allow MSG instructions to access the controller anymore.

The default gateway has tripped me up more than once but I will typically get nothing when that is set wrong so I am pretty sure that's OK. but will check in a few minutes,

I wonder how you change the default password if you can't get to the interface ?

Using Cradlepoint modems that are on a private network for this facility. Its a VPN like fabric that works perfectly on the 2 other devices that are connected to it up there. Just the 1400 has this issue.

I should also mention that I am actively pulling data from this 1400 just fine, Only the web interface is a problem - but now that you mention the enhanced password I will keep my eye on that. ... Just when you get things working someone brings up security . . . :)

Well... I drove up to the location and it works just fine when directly connected, so the Cell router is messing with it. I'll take this issue to them.

My memory tells me that the cell modem had no issue with the FW before the update, I'm sure I did the update over the cellular link so it will be interesting to see what the issue actually is.

Thanks

My memory tells me that the cell modem had no issue with the FW before the update, I'm sure I did the update over the cellular link so it will be interesting to see what the issue actually is.

Thanks

A firmware update over cellular. Hats off to you. I am hesitant to download to a panel view via cellular.

Firmware update over cellular! I won't even do it by USB unless I have no other choice. Ethernet all the way!

My mental image of you has been adjusted:
P6pXOPS.jpeg