You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old September 14th, 2021, 03:29 PM   #1
Brschwal
United States

Cannot perform online edits Logix 5000

Hi,
I've searched the forums and none of the previous threads seem to have a solution to my problem. I am using Logix Designer 27.11 Professional. I have six L71S PLCs in six different machines that are all very similar (all are 27.11). I have one program that I cannot perform online edits. The start pending edits button is the only one highlighted. When I click it, I can edit the rung. Then the accept edits button is highlighted. When I press it, the power bar indicates that the edits were accepted and the error window at the bottom shows that the changes were accepted, but the test edits button is greyed out along with all the other edit buttons, including the finalize edits button. The PLC key switch is in Remote Run. There are no other active edits and the PLC is not in test mode. The other five PLCs are running production right now, so I can't download the failing program into one of the other controllers to see if the problem follows, BUT if I download one of the other programs into the failed PLC, I can do online edits with no issues. I cannot do a compare using the compare tool because of a licensing issue and I doubt IT will have that resolved any time soon. Although similar, all the machines are different enough that I can't simply dump a different program in. Any ideas???
Old September 14th, 2021, 03:44 PM   #2
dmroeder
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

If you have a window of opportunity to download to the machine misbehaving:
  • Save your current program as L5K.
  • Import it into a new program to generate a new ACD
  • Download the new ACD
  • Try online editing
Old September 14th, 2021, 04:07 PM   #3
JLand
United States

I agree with dmroeder.

Also consider upgrading to an even-numbered major revision PLC firmware (such as v28). There are usually more weird bugs with odd-numbered revisions.
Old September 14th, 2021, 04:12 PM   #4
Operaghost
United States

In the Processor Status toolbar it should show you that your controller is in Rem Run. Below that it should also show the status of online edits. Generally, this either says "No Edits" or "Edits Present". Before you attempt to edit, what does this display? What do you see after you Accept? Also, there is a padlock icon. Is that icon showing the controller as Locked or Unlocked?

Assuming it is unlocked and it shows Edits Active after you Accept your edit, perhaps it is an issue with the edit toolbar. If you click on Logic from the menu at the top of the screen there should be an Online Edits option. Maybe you will be able to select the correct option from there.

EDIT: Part in red is from Rockwell, when a controller is locked by a user, other users "will not be able to make changes to the code that would affect the operation of the program". It has been a while since I have tried this. But this COULD mean that you can Accept an edit, but you would not be able to Test/Assemble/Finalize since those steps would affect operation. So if you see a padlock symbol with an icon of a person's head, that means it has been locked by another user.
EDIT2: Was able to try this. I locked it from one instance and my other instance showed it was locked by another user. In the version I'm using (28), it won't let me even start an edit. I seem to recall you used to be able to start an edit, but you couldn't accept it. But it's been a long time since I tried this. There is a similar lock feature for safety controllers. perhaps this lock is affecting your edits. I don't have the hardware to test safety controllers. Does yours say "Safety Locked" or "Safety Unlocked"?

OG

Last edited by Operaghost; September 14th, 2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old September 15th, 2021, 07:26 AM   #5
Brschwal
United States

Thanks!

Dmroeder for the WIN!!!

Thank you!
Old September 15th, 2021, 10:09 AM   #6
dmroeder
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brschwal View Post
Dmroeder for the WIN!!!

Thank you!
Hip Hip Hooray!

Hmm, I need to come up with a word for that whole L5K switch-a-roo. When in doubt, do the "________".
Old September 15th, 2021, 11:14 AM   #7
travispedley
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmroeder View Post
Hip Hip Hooray!

Hmm, I need to come up with a word for that whole L5K switch-a-roo. When in doubt, do the "________".
When in doubt, go the L5K route?
Old September 15th, 2021, 11:21 AM   #8
TheWaterboy
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

For the no win scenario I recommend the Kobayashi L5k
Old September 15th, 2021, 12:26 PM   #9
dmroeder
United States

Not bad. I'm thinking maybe along the lines of give your ACD an enema.
Old September 15th, 2021, 12:32 PM   #10
TheWaterboy
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

LOL, OK that pretty much covers it...
Old September 15th, 2021, 03:31 PM   #11
drbitboy
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmroeder View Post

When in doubt, strip the cruft.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum