Control Flash

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Guys,

I'm trying to assign an IP address to a new 1769 L32E Compact Logix processor. My laptop doesn't have a 9 pin Port so I'm going to try to use control flash to accomplish this as I was told in a previous thread a while ago that this is possible. My question is which version of control flash do I need to download from Rockwell software as my laptop doesn't currently have any version on it.

When I go to Rockwell downloads there's a lot of different versions of it.

You could use Boot-P but if you want to use ControlFlash you will use whatever version of the software that you have... the first thing you do is search for a IP address, it will time out then you use the MAC ID and this will assign the IP address then you can flash to your version of 5000 that you have

I have a video on it but its using a USB cable but you can see about half way in the video the ControlFlash

https://www.plccable.com/support-videos-compatibility/

I'm unable to download Control Flash because apparently, I need Factory Talk Activation 6.0 or higher but I'm unable to find or download that as well. I've never used Boot Tp, am I able to assign an IP address to the processor just using an Ethernet cord? Keep in mind I dont have a 9 pin RS232 port or a USB to RS232 adapter.

So I was able to download Control Flash, My issue is I'm unable to flash the processor because I cannot get online with it nor see it in RSLinx. Because the processor is new and has no IP address I cannot see it on RSLinx. I also cannot connect VIA RS232/DF1 Driver because I do not have the necessary cabling to make that happen.

Is there any way I'm able to connect to this processor VIA ethernet IP because that's the only cabling I have with me is an Ethernet Patch cord connected to my laptop Ethernet port. I've assigned a static IP to my laptop and tried to create a n Ethernet IP driver in RSLinx but It's not doing anything because the processor doesn't have an IP address assigned to it.

There should be an default IP address on the PLC. Just connect it directly to your computer, open up RSLinx, setup Ethernet/IP driver (if not already) and browse to the PLC. Right-click on the PLC and select Configuration. There should be a tab there to allow you change to static IP.

I'm totally lost on using Control Flash to assign IP. Are you not confusing Control Flash with RSLinx?

If not done already, you need to set your PC to the same subnet as the default IP address of the PLC. Use the Ethernet/IP driver and not the Ethernet Device driver.

Is there any way I'm able to connect to this processor VIA ethernet IP because that's the only cabling I have with me is an Ethernet Patch cord connected to my laptop Ethernet port. I've assigned a static IP to my laptop and tried to create a n Ethernet IP driver in RSLinx but It's not doing anything because the processor doesn't have an IP address assigned to it.

As stated in the first part, if you dont want to use BootP... use ControlFlash and see below

The first thing you do is search for a IP address, it will time out then you use the MAC ID and ControlFlash will assign the IP address

harryting said:
There should be an default IP address on the PLC

Harry there is nothing in side the L32e other then the MAC ID

Rockwells BootP/DHCP tool "should" work to set the IP address. It will find it based on MAC ID. The thing about BootP that often fails is its ability to turn off BootP in the PLC when using the little button at the bottom of the window. I have had mixed results when using the Tools menu to disable BootP.

After using BootP to set the IP address, wait a few seconds then use the Tools menu to turn off BootP.

Rockwells BootP/DHCP tool "should" work to set the IP address.

For me and it may just be me (sure it is)... but using ControlFlash is faster and easier and you need to flash it anyway, I flash about 10 a week so I am use to it, the last time I opened BootP I got a little lost but that was 10 years ago

When you use ControlFlash just set it up like you know the IP address (the number you want assigned) then like I said it will time out and you enter the MAC address and then you can flash it also to the V number you need 🍺

thanks for your helping everyone, I was able to flash it and assign an IP address. I appreciate all of your help, saves me big time!

I Like Beer! While i have you guys here I'm having an issue with I/O fault while setting up the new processor. I have the following:

Slot 0 - 1769L32E with firmware - 15.004
Power Suppy
Slot 1 - 1769 IA16 - With firmware 3.1 series A
Slot 2 - 1769 IA16 - With firmware 3.1 series A
Slot 3 1769 OA16 - With firmware 3.1 series A
Slot 4 1769 OA16 - With firmware 1.1 series A

I've got all of this configured in RSLogix 5000 to match the I/O but I'm getting I/O faults on every module including the Bus adapter. I'm guessing Its just an addressing error or am I missing something else

I do notice that the revision on the bus adapter in my program says 15.3 but on RSLinx the revision says 15.4 which is the same as the processor. I'm unable to change the revision of the bus adapter.

Any advice on what I'm doing wrong. I usually just connect to processors and troubleshoot and program them. I've yet to set up one from scratch.