Eplan files

Pete_S

Hi All

I am new to Eplan and I inherited a project that was designed in Eplan and needs rework. I was informed that the Eplan project was on the laptop that I was given to commission the equipment. I however do not see any recognized Eplan file types on the laptop. I see a .edb file with the project in question's name, but this filetype is not recognized by Eplan. Any suggestions from Eplan users would be appreciated so I don't have to recreate the project from .pdf exports manually. Thanks!

Yeah, the best way is to restore a prior project which would be a .ZW1 file.

I opened my ePlan and .EDB isn't in the list of recognized file types.

If you are on LinkedIn, reach out to Ivan Vidovic, he may have a method to restore the EDB into your project, he is an ePlan tutor.

I don't know if this might work but it would not hurt trying.

EPLAN P8 projects are a combination of a folder and a file, both with the same name. The folder name ends with .edb and the file name ends with .elk. See the first attachment.

The .edb folder contains all the project data and the .elk file is just a text file; it can be opened and edited with Notepad. Look at the second attached screenshot, there are two lines: the name of the project folder and the project EPLAN version.

So try to create a text file like this and save it with .elk extension. I do not know which EPLAN version you are using so try entering 11.0 for the revision and see what transpires.

Fldr.jpg Fil.jpg

Just a heads up for anyone getting into e-plan. The forum is free access, and there are e-plan employees & consultants that answer questions on it. I have used it quite extensively and many good questions have been answered over there. Search function is great. Also, do not ignore the help file. The help file is actually excellently detailed.
https://www.eplan.community/en/index.php
https://www.eplan.help/help/platform/2.8/en-US/help/EPLAN_Help.htm

.ZW1 are project backups. (project > Backup > project), if you can find one that is recent, try restoring it.

To answer your actual question (echoing the last post), from what I understand, after you import or start a new project, eplan will create the EDB directory, where most of your project information will be stored. This is associated directly with a .elk file. There should be an ELK somewhere that you should be able to open the project.

Just making sure, if you open e-plan, under project, is your project in the recently opened list?

Good luck.

EPLAN P8 projects are a combination of a folder and a file, both with the same name. The folder name ends with .edb and the file name ends with .elk. See the first attachment.

The .edb folder contains all the project data and the .elk file is just a text file; it can be opened and edited with Notepad. Look at the second attached screenshot, there are two lines: the name of the project folder and the project EPLAN version.

So try to create a text file like this and save it with .elk extension. I do not know which EPLAN version you are using so try entering 11.0 for the revision and see what transpires.

Thanks for the information! I will try this method.

Yeah, the best way is to restore a prior project which would be a .ZW1 file.

I opened my ePlan and .EDB isn't in the list of recognized file types.

If you are on LinkedIn, reach out to Ivan Vidovic, he may have a method to restore the EDB into your project, he is an ePlan tutor.

Thanks for the contact really appreciate it!

Just a heads up for anyone getting into e-plan. The forum is free access, and there are e-plan employees & consultants that answer questions on it. I have used it quite extensively and many good questions have been answered over there. Search function is great. Also, do not ignore the help file. The help file is actually excellently detailed.
https://www.eplan.community/en/index.php
https://www.eplan.help/help/platform/2.8/en-US/help/EPLAN_Help.htm

.ZW1 are project backups. (project > Backup > project), if you can find one that is recent, try restoring it.

To answer your actual question (echoing the last post), from what I understand, after you import or start a new project, eplan will create the EDB directory, where most of your project information will be stored. This is associated directly with a .elk file. There should be an ELK somewhere that you should be able to open the project.

Just making sure, if you open e-plan, under project, is your project in the recently opened list?

Good luck.

Thanks for the forum information, I will look there.

So my issue is I was handed a laptop that has Eplan 8 installed on it. I was told former controls engineer used this laptop to design the machine that is now my baby. There are no recent projects when I open Eplan, and I do not see any of Eplan expected file types when I search the laptop. I did find a directory with the machine project name of filetype .edb.zip. Based on previous comment it seems like this is where the information for the project resides, so I am hopeful that I can create a text file so that Eplan can recover the project from the .edb. I have never used Eplan so I am exhausting all options as I really don't want to recreate the project from .pdf exports.

This got me out of the weeds! I was able to create the .elk with format that you suggested and I was able to recover the project. THANK YOU SO MUCH! Saves me having to recreate entire machine schematic while trying to learn Eplan!