Module 1756-M02AE Rev.3.8 Fault

Tim ODell

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have this module being used with a Controllogix 1756-M13/A. Using RSLogix5000 Version 8
I have an Exclamation mark on the I/O Configuration file and also on this module.
Looking in the Property box for this module I have the following
There are (2) Axis Listed (but not Lighted)
Revision 3.13 Electronic Keying: Compatibile Module
Connection Tab
Inhibit Module and the Major Fault boxes are not check
Module Fault
(Code 16#0203) Connection timed out.
Module Info Tab
Product Code: 1756-M02AE
Revision: 13.2
Serial Number: 000DB514
Status
Major Fault: None
Minor Fault: None
Internal State: (16#0034) Unknown

Configured: Yes
Owned: NO
Module Identity: Mismatch

I have never used this module but was setting it up to get some experience with.
Is this Mismatch issue I have due to the differences in the Version number or due to the Electronic Keying or both?
If it is the Electronic Keying just where do you find the correct numbers or such to change it?

As for the Version Differences I would have to upgrade the module from the 3.8 to the 13 correct?
If that is the case than I would also have to upgrade the Controllogix 1756-M13/A Processor too Correct?

Thanks All

It's possible the module is damaged or defective; the "0203" connection timeout error means that the controller isn't able to communicate with the module properly, so the rest of the status values are invalid or suspect.

I'm not sure if the Version Mismatch is a reliable indicator.

In RSLinx Classic, browse through the backplane and see if the MO2AE module appears in the backplane browse. If it does, right-click on it and select Module Properties to determine its actual firmware revision.

In RSLogix 5000, you have to either select the Major Revision from a drop-down menu or select it at the time you insert the module into a project. With Version 8, I wouldn't be surprised if it was at the time of module object creation, rather than being changeable later.

If this is a test system, it makes sense to upgrade everything to Version 13 compatible firmware. Version 8 wasn't even officially compatible with Windows XP; I had it installed on NT4.0 and Windows 2000 computers when I used it.

Remember that RSLogix 5000 and the CPU firmware need to be equivalent: a Version 13 controller needs Version 13 software. As far back as v8, you could not install more than one version at a time, so don't go over-writing your v8 software installation if you need it to support installed controllers in your business.

Module 1756-M02AE Rev.3.8 Fault Follow Up

Thanks so much Ken for your assistance!
Yes Ken this unit is just an Training Unit now so I have no worrys about it. The orginal data is safely stuck away and only a copy of it is in use on the training Desktop
I did hook back up to the unit and found the following information from the Linx connection

Device Name: 1756-L55/A 1756-M13/A Logix5555 Revision:8.21
Product Type: 14
Produce Code: 51
Serial Number: 000100D79

Device Name: 1756-CNB/D Revision:5.22
Product Type: 12
Produce Code: 5.22
Serial Number: 000D8DBE

Device Name: 1756M02AE Revision:13.2
Product Type: 16
Produce Code: 3
Serial Number: 000B514

Device Name: 1756-1B16/A DCIN Revision:2.5
Product Type: 7
Produce Code: 11
Serial Number: 000EFE92

Device Name: 1756-OB16E/A DCOUT EFUSE Revision:2.4
Product Type: 7
Produce Code: 16
Serial Number: 000EF328

So as you was saying I would have to bring the CPU firmware up to Version 13 as well.
I should also to the ControlNet Card as well if they have an upgrade for it

Thanks you have been a big help.

Greetings Tim ...

if I understand your project, you're eventually going to need "something" connected/wired to your 1756-M02AE module in order to get any useful operation from it ...

take a look at the little simulator that I used in the following post ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=511501&postcount=1

although I originally used it (as shown) on the SLC-500 platform (that's what my customer needed) – I've also since gotten it to work with a ControlLogix system using the same 1756-M02AE type module that you've got ... let me know if you'd be interested in the wiring diagrams and settings that I used ...

also (again - assuming that I'm understanding your situation) as long as you're going to be "flashing" - you might want to consider upgrading/flashing your equipment up to firmware version 16 – that should give you access to Add-On Instruction capability – which (I'm pretty sure) the version 13 that you mentioned doesn't support ...

good luck with your project ...

Thanks allot Ron!!
This will surely help me out in this little endeavor of ours.
It has been a very good learning curve for me.
Greatly appreciate any and all help with this

Tim