OT - Training apprentices

Sounds fun, I'd have a go but then I've got 30 years experience as a statement list programmer. Not knowing what level your apprentices are currently at, maybe it was just so far beyond their current understanding that they didn't see any way to succeed?

Perhaps they need someone to tell them that when you retire there will still be plenty of systems using STL that will need updating and, like it happens with some very old languages, the running rate can get quite high?

I had an apprentice working with me for about 4 months last year. Straight out of University with a controls and instrumentation degree and was shocked at how little he knew. He knew almost zero about electricity (the look on his face when I said the power formula for AC is different than DC and even then, the 3 phase is also different from 1 phase said it all), didn't understand the concept of a latch (seal in circuit), didn't understand current loops or valve feedback. And yet, after me taking time to devise little challenges for him to get up to speed with some of the required concepts to do the job and learn by himself, he went to HR to complain about me and not giving direction or not having a plan for his development.
Somehow he thought I would hand over a plant for him to "program" the controls of without understanding all of the above or even knowing electricity enough that I would hand him a switch room key to map out an old panel for which I have no drawings and want to stick a PLC in place.

But then again, I was young too and did **** up as well just not as badly.

This being said, if you meet my current salary, I'd jump at the opportunity to do it... :p though, am not an apprentice anymore.

I've come across similar situations with the same outcomes.

Now, I take a different approach. Instead of asking around for a volunteer, I'll just find an intern (the first one I come across), and if they are not working on anything, then I just assign them the project. So typically (not always), I don't give them much of a choice. Of course, I don't assign an intern or co-op something that I know is too much for them, or is too critical or urgent. For the project, I point out and show them the things that I know they are not going to know, ask him/her if they have any questions, then just let them go and figure it out. I don't do too much hand-holding. My thought is that they are engineering co-ops now, and no longer just kids. Let them work it out on their own. I find this approach benefits both them and myself and the company. It challenges them to work it out on their own and teaches them from the start that there isn't always going to be someone there to lean on, and they are going to have to figure things out, especially as an engineer. It also benefits me in being able to gauge the co-op's abilities, what they are good at or what they are not good at, and where they may need additional help or training in. I also let them know that if they ever get too stuck on something, come and find me and ask, and we'll work it out together. Don't just keep banging your head on the wall in frustration.

I have a PLC programming training tutorial that I created, that I have all co-ops go through when they get assigned to my department for the semester. Even if the co-op might be a Mechanical Engineering student, makes absolutely no difference to me. I still have them go through my PLC programming tutorial just the same, and I also assign them simple wiring projects using an electrical print. I've had at least one say, "But....but......but, I'm going for mechanical engineering, not EE or CS." Then, I just reply back, "Mmmm....that's nice". Then give them the programming or electrical wiring task anyway. :)
This allows the fresh co-op and University student to better understand if what they are majoring in really is a good fit for them, or if they might be more interested in something else.

When it comes to fresh hires, the one thing that I often have to deal with in them is pride and ego, which is a huge peeve of mine. Check your pride and egos at the door!! I don't care how you did it where you used to work, or how you learned it. I'm going to teach you how we do it here! They are also usually the typical "I know" person. The one that every time you try to show them something or tell them something, they respond with "I know", sometimes before you're even finished with the sentence. No, you don't know!!! Now shut up, pay attention, and listen!!! I don't say that to them, but I'm certainly thinking it sometimes.

Here's a good one for you:
Last machine build, I pull in a fresh hired "experienced" skilled trades guy to help with a panel build. I need square hole cutouts on either side of the panel to fit the cooling and exhaust fans in. I proceed to show him how I want it done and the tools I want him to use to do it. Before I can even finish two sentences, he's like, "I know how to do it!", even though I'm already aware that he's never built an machine panel before. So I just turn away, roll my eyes and let him go with how he "knows" how to do it. I come back an hour later to check progress and I see him out there hacking the holy s--- out of the side of this brand spanking new panel with a little die grinder and of all things......a G'dam Sawz-All!!!

So don't be an "I know" person. Never say "I know", even if you do know.

Last edited:
Its been my experience that they need guidance, break down the steps, review their
steps, make suggestions on improvement, review that coding. Baby steps builds confidence, then ramp them up to bigger steps, and so forth.

I think what your doing is throwing them out into deep water and they don't like it.
Maybe ask them what they are comfortable with at first then build from there?

+1 to nzeid1

No Latch/Unlatch Set/Reset coils without permission from you.

NO NO 'MCR' master control relay instructions.

No counter instructions (gasp!). One-shot into additions and use comparisons for decodes instead.

I think I'm going to print this and pin it up in my office...

I teach UAW and Independent Contractors apprentices. They are given a book of tasks to master. Those tasks are both signed off by an authority and tested at a remote location. If they are in a program they will have to face the music sooner or later.