Codemeter Notification Annoyance

Mispeld

Every now and then, typically after switching the active network adapter, Codemeter will display a blank Windows 10 notification window and will also appear in the task bar.

This blank notification window stays on top of every other window, blocking a not-insignificant amount of screen space. If I open the Codemeter app from the task bar, it is also an empty window with no application or context menus -- the only options are minimize (to the task bar) or maximize. Clicking close does nothing.

System restart is the only way I have found to get rid of these annoyances. I hesitate to mess with the service or registry, as I don't want to create more grief. Using Task Manager to end the Codemeter application gets it off the task bar, but the dead notification remains.

Anyone know a a better work-around than restart?

[Control panel reports Codemeter version 7.51.5429.500]

Last edited:
Have you tried disabling its notification permissions? If you haven't, the below steps is how to normally stop notifications for a specific program in Windows 10

1. Click on the "Action Center" (Far right of the task bar just past the clock)
2. Right click on the notification.
3. Select "Turn off all notifications for xxx program"
4. Profit!

Thanks for the idea, Lem. Unfortunately it appears that the Codemeter desktop object is not really a Win 10 notification, it just looks like one. I forced the issue, and then found that Codemeter is not one of the applications listed as generating a notification. Thus no way to turn off notifications by that route. The always-on-top thing that it leaves on the desktop seems to be an application window, but with no borders, window controls, or context menu.

I have found that killing CodeMeter with the Window Task Manager will get rid of the desktop artifact as well as the Taskbar zombie, and with no known issues. A bit more convenient than restarting the PC.

If you're killing it from the task manager anyways you can always set the "CodeMeter Runtime Server" service to Manual startup type instead of Automatic.

Also check that its not being started from the startup folder, it can act weird if its running as a service and also being started by the startup folder.