SICK Flexi Soft Ethernet/IP faults with AB CLX

phuz

I setup a Flexi Soft system through the designer. All modules have green lights, except for the FX0-GENT status light flashing Red/Green indicating that there are currently no ethernet communications.
I have a generic ethernet module setup in CLX for Input Only - INT.
Input instance 1 length 25
Output instance 7
Config instance 10 length 0
Poll rate is 40ms

As soon as I enable this, all the modules start flashing red, and the module says faulted in CLX. I've followed this to a T from the SICK manuals. Diagnostics are not great from the SICK software.

Initially shows Connection Timed Out, then Service Request Error: Invalid Mode or State for Service Request

I am able to use Explicit Messaging, but I'd much rather use Implicit for this.

Last edited:
What does the FX0-GENT user manual recommend for an RPI ? 40 ms sounds pretty fast for diagnostic information from a safety controller.

I would start with something very long (500 ms) and decrease from there, to eliminate CPU overload or something in their EIP Adapter object rejecting a short RPI.

According to the following document, the system clock frequency of the FX0-GENT is 10 ms...

Flexi Soft Ethernet IP: Implicit Messaging with Rockwell RSLogix5000

Section 2.1 & 2.2 explains all you need to know on RPI, etc. 40 ms is a possible RPI, but it isn't a hard-coded setting, like your last comment suggests. But still, anything from 10 ms RPI and up seems to be possible with this gateway.

The value I'd be curious to know is the "Maximum PLC Update Rate", which is set in the FX0-GENT gateway configuration? Did you touch that setting or do you know what it's set to?

"If" that happened to be at say 50 ms, then your 40 ms would be adjusted up to this 50 ms RPI. The Maximum PLC Update Rate governs (see table in manual).

I was also wondering if the gateway is in Idle Mode, but your status indicators seem to suggest not (no flashing Green).

Also, Red/Green flashing can indicate the gateway IP address is currently not the same as is configured in the Logix 5000 project.

I haven't analyzed your CIP configuration at all though.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
According to the following document, the system clock frequency of the FX0-GENT is 10 ms...

Flexi Soft Ethernet IP: Implicit Messaging with Rockwell RSLogix5000

Section 2.1 & 2.2 explains all you need to know on RPI, etc. 40 ms is a possible RPI, but it isn't a hard-coded setting, like your last comment suggests. But still, anything from 10 ms RPI and up seems to be possible with this gateway.

The value I'd be curious to know is the "Maximum PLC Update Rate", which is set in the FX0-GENT gateway configuration? Did you touch that setting or do you know what it's set to?

"If" that happened to be at say 50 ms, then your 40 ms would be adjusted up to this 50 ms RPI. The Maximum PLC Update Rate governs (see table in manual).

I was also wondering if the gateway is in Idle Mode, but your status indicators seem to suggest not (no flashing Green).

Also, Red/Green flashing can indicate the gateway IP address is currently not the same as is configured in the Logix 5000 project.

I haven't analyzed your CIP configuration at all though.

Regards,
George

The value you are referring to is only adjustable if the gateway is writing to the PLC, which it's not, so it's not a used parameter in this case.
FWIW, I did change the RPI to 500ms and it crashes the controller just like before.