Redundant PLCs: Reloading Your App Remotely

Anybody experience any problems re-loading a Redundant ControlLogix PLC remotely (via Ethernet)? Are there any special preparations one needs to take beforehand (so that the redundant PLC doesn't become "confused")?

This is an L73, BTW...

I had asked because we've had our redundant controller fault and Rockwell tech assistance said we'd have to direct-connect and load locally. But the redundancy documentation said no such thing, and the redundant would just auto-copy the app. Just re-loaded remotely, and no problems, except an I/O Timeout scrolling message on the primary, which went away after an hour or so. It wasn't a fault. Looked more informational to me.

Other Rockwell tech assist claim was the redundant Controller would not go back to Run mode following download. Well, both Controller panels are showing "run", no faults, everything "looks" normal.

Does anybody think I need to direct-connect to the Redundant Controller (locally) to see if it's *really* in Run mode? That would mean the front panel is lying, which I doubt is the case.

I suppose it depends on the nature of the fault. If it's a major fault that occurred because your program did something wrong (like indexing off the end of an array), then you ought to be able to just load into the controller at the primary IP address, and the system will take care of the cross-loading for you.

If the controller has hard-faulted (solid red OK LED)... you'll have to recover it with a power cycle and try to re-load it.

Ken Roach:

No faults this time loading remotely. Previously, what would happen is - we'd *discover* the redundant PLC faulted, but the primary was still running fine. And since this application runs out in a remote 'shack', nobody knew. The theory was it was due to loading it remotely - which I didn't believe.

I tried direct-connecting to the Redundant processor (using USB cable), but the ControlLogix5000 software wouldn't boot past the Splash screen. Kept quitting on me - even though the executable still showed up in Task Manager. Not sure if that's a license problem, a cable problem, a laptop problem, a network problem, or an IP address problem, or all of the above.

It's like pulling teeth with these things ...