Advanced PV+ Datalogging help

DwSoFt

Lifetime Supporting Member
Ok so I have a client with a pv+1000 firmware 8.0 talking to an L33ER compactlogix plc.
Currently we are using the built in datalog.
Now the client wants to have say a year of data for all these points automatically put onto the usb stick.
I am aware that the built in function will stop when pulling the usb stick so I don't want that. I'm just concerned if the datastore+ can handle this. My though was to have it saving internally and then daily move the catalog to usb with today's date. I'm just not sure were to start is all.

You will need to use the Datastore activeX.

Yes, store the files locally is okay.
The Datastore can generate new files; there are a few options on how it does that.
Use either of these to get the files onto the USB stick
(1) create an autorun.bat file on the USB stick to get the files, when you plug it in.
(2) create a .bat file on the PVP to run periodically (using Program Launcher activeX) to move the files to the USB stick periodically.

Option 1 is better, and less complicated. It is also not a good idea to leave a USB stick in the PV all the time, as that will wear down the pin connectors and eventually fail the USB port (from shock/vibration).

I'm not sure what happens to the Datastore if you pull out the USB when it needs to save, if you had it setup to save directly to the USB. You could test to see how it responds.

Watch out for plugging in 2 USB sticks at the same time; that could mess up the path name of the USB stick.

Thank you for the reply.
I have datastore all setup, but with trying to save it directly to USB.
I need it to do it periodically with the USB Stick plugged in. Luckily this is in a Solid MCC PLC cabinet and vibration is not an issue. So thanks for the tips on how to do it periodically, ill do it at midnight each night, and then it most likely will not be pulled out ever again.
I will post some screen shots once i get it working, for other to see.

I got the Datalogging to local storage working

The part I can't seem to get going still is the *.bat file to.launch with program launcher. Whenever I trigger it it says failed to.launch *.bat. But the batch file works when I click on it.
I also tried launching cmd.exe and the. Have the batch file in parameters but still couldn't get it working
Also im.waiting on corporate to renew my tech connect (I warned them.well in advance and they still dropped.thr ball) so.i can't look up.the tech connect stuff that is in regards to this until a later date.

What is the exact name of the Batch file ? I know I've screwed up before by accidentally naming my *.batch file the same as a *.exe system command ("shutdown", in that case).

An important question: if the Display that hosts the DataStore Plus ActiveX gets closed because it is replaced by another Replace-type screen... does the ActiveX keep running ?

I know that if the ActiveX is not visible then it doesn't run. That's why I learned to put it off-screen by dragging the border to see the off-screen portion of the Display container, and putting the ActiveX square objects there.

But I'm not sure if the ActiveX also stops running when the Display that hosts it closes.

This function came up in a project today and I'd like to figure it out as well. I have a PV+7 Standard, with FTView 8.20 running on it.

We do hundreds of these data log projects.

The Data Store Active X must be always on top and cannot be replaced, you start it as the initial screen, then when loaded, it the loads your proper initial screen via a macro. Just set the position to -640 x -480 for example.

The .bat goes in root of the panel and run the from a PB with a HMI tag or however you want to trigger.

Program Launcher Settings:

Capture.png

Alternatively you can write to a network location and never have to use the .bat file, which is generally much easier as it fire and forget.

Excellent how to here for the logger:
https://theautomationblog.com/datastore-plus-step-by-step-setup-in-factorytalk-viewstudio/

We do hundreds of these data log projects.

The Data Store Active X must be always on top and cannot be replaced, you start it as the initial screen, then when loaded, it the loads your proper initial screen via a macro. Just set the position to -640 x -480 for example.

The .bat goes in root of the panel and run the from a PB with a HMI tag or however you want to trigger.

Program Launcher Settings:

Capture.png

Alternatively you can write to a network location and never have to use the .bat file, which is generally much easier as it fire and forget.

Excellent how to here for the logger:
https://theautomationblog.com/datastore-plus-step-by-step-setup-in-factorytalk-viewstudio/

Yes Ken, it is named autodump.bat. I am triggering program launcher at 1am each day in the PLC.

The datastore+ is working properly, and yes the screen cannont be replaced, i got that working right.

In the program launcher portion though, I had different settings than what you have posted above ("/My Documents/autodump.bat" as well as "/Windows/cmd.exe" and then in parameters "/My Documents/autodump.bat" and it did not work.

I will try these and get back to you. Sorry for no pictures yet, I will post them yet.
I have been swamped, and have a new guy starting to help me on Monday.

Thank you.

In the program launcher portion though, I had different settings than what you have posted above ("/My Documents/autodump.bat" as well as "/Windows/cmd.exe" and then in parameters "/My Documents/autodump.bat" and it did not work.

Use HMI memory string tags for the Program Location and Parameter (assuming both will be less than 82 characters).
Make the initial value for you parameter, including the quotes
Code:
 "/My Documents/autodump.bat"

Your BAT file location has a space in it; My Documents.
So you will need to enclose that in quotes.
But you cannot type quotes enclosed in quotes into the connections field in FTView
Ex. This is NO good ""/My Documents/autodump.bat""

So, you have to use string tags.
It works for Janner because his is the root path, and it has no space.

The Data Store Active X must be always on top and cannot be replaced

I was trying to do it exactly backwards, then: my "Main Display" is the only Replace type display, and everything else is an On Top.

Thanks very much for letting me interject my question into the discussion, and for making it clear !

I have this working now, ,but I have another problem.

the datalog model has stopped working (in diagnostics it just said the model was not started) for the display trending, and I am not sure why.
It has been forkning properly for the past 2 years until I added the datastoreplus stuff. let me know if you want some screenshots, I am on site now.

Thanks

The DataStore Plus should not have affected the Data Log Model; they're entirely independent of one another.

What exact firmware revision of the PV+ are you using ? Did you do an upgrade to the "latest and greatest" firmware ? Any chance you're using an old ControlNet module on something other than 5.10.08 ?

I am running 8.0 for version, no control net module or anything like that. And I didn't upgrade its firmware.

As all I have added was the datastore stuff im not sure why it is doing this but I am restarting from my archive from the working version again incase I did something wrong and rebuilding it to see if that fixes the issue.