Sync Dual Read Lion G310 Graphite screens

woolie161

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All,
I have a current system with a Red Lion G310 Graphite screen (HMI-1) connected via Ethernet to a CompactLogix L33E. I have been requested to install a 2nd G310 Screen (HMI-2) to display / control the same as the original HMI (HMI-1). Manual control for valves and motors can be controlled for either screen etc. The client requires "user management" for security, which is existing in HMI-1 using the "User Management" primitive.
My question is: does anybody have an idea / achieved being able to pass "passwords" between the 2 HMI's? Basically, if a users password is changed on HMI-1, then the same users password needs to be updated on HMI-2, so that user can still access setpoints etc. by logging on using the same "user name" and "password" on either screen.
I have tried configuring the password as a "String" tag and an "Integer" tag, so I can pass it to the relevant HMI via the PLC. It would appear that the Graphite series cannot read tags as passwords. On the security setup page in Crimson 3.0, under credential for that user is where I placed the tag (=PW_Tag) configured as a string (8 characters) and an Integer, with no luck.
Any thoughts or suggestion, gladly accepted.
Thanks
Woolie

This probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but just handle your passwords and permissions in the PLC rather than the HMI. That's the way I typically do it, as I often find myself working on systems with different brands of HMI's (ain't standardization great?) I also find it more practical to "kill" user rights if they are managed in the PLC when an employee quits or needs to have their rights revoked because they keep trashing things running in manual.

Thanks AutoMax for the suggestion,
I have been trying to be Lazy as the original G3 HMI has all the users and passwords configured. I was trying to avoid creating a heap of "strings" in the PLC for user names and passwords. If I do go down the PLC security route, I'll need to locate all the different privilege levels on each object within the HMI and change them to my user levels as set by the PLC.

Again I was hoping someone else may have had a simular issue and sorted a solution.

Thanks for the reply, and I fear it may come down to security controlled by the PLC

Woolie

There are functions:
LoadSecurityDatabase(MODE, FILE)
SaveSecurityDatabase(MODE, FILE)

The Help reference explains how they work, but is thin on details and lacks any examples.

Those functions can save and load your security settings to a file location, which I believe will be on your memory card. From there you should be able to use some FTP commands to move it from one HMI to the other. This is contingent on having an FTP server setup and both HMIs able to access it.

I have not used these functions yet, so I can't give any real detail, but I have set up FTP sync and it was super easy using freeware called FileZilla.

I don't know if Red Lion has any good detailed tech notes on this feature but their phone and email support has been very helpful for me.

Last edited:
Thanks OkiePC,
I had read the instructions in the reference manual but didn't think to try using FTP to attempt to sync the 2 screens. I assumed (probably incorrectly) those instructions to be a way to save and restore the security settings back to a "default".
Looks like this weekend could be spent playing(learning) about FTP.
Again Thanks for the concept
Woolie