523 VFD amps on a ControlLogixs5000

ndmartz

Please Help:How do I read the amps of a 523 VFD with my ControlLogixs5000 PLC. I am already controlling the VFD as far as starting and stopping even frequency control, but can not read the amps back. I have read some documentation and even watched some videos but nothing that can help. Any help will be appreciated.🤞🏻
Thank you

How are you controlling your PF523? On a PF525, you can use configure datalinks to pull the amps display parameter into the controller via ethernet.

Yes, how are you controlling the 523? It doesn't come with a comm card, so you likely added a comm card, or you are using the DSI port and Modbus, or you are using hard wire controls. How you are connected makes all the difference in the world as to how you can read data.

Assuming the drive is already ethernet connected to the CLX

You can read any or all of several parameters
OutputCurrent
TorqueCurrent
OutputPower
check the drive manual for the list of hundreds of parameters for that drive.

The parameter you want may already be already scanned by the CLX. Look in Controller Tags, under the drive you want to interrogate.

If not in the scanned list, and depending on your version of Studio 5000, you may be able to add it to the list of parameters that are automatically scanned.

Or, you can read any parameters using GSV instruction.

Hit the books. Experiment. Good luck.

Assuming the drive is already ethernet connected to the CLX

You can read any or all of several parameters
OutputCurrent
TorqueCurrent
OutputPower
check the drive manual for the list of hundreds of parameters for that drive.

The parameter you want may already be already scanned by the CLX. Look in Controller Tags, under the drive you want to interrogate.

If not in the scanned list, and depending on your version of Studio 5000, you may be able to add it to the list of parameters that are automatically scanned.

Or, you can read any parameters using GSV instruction.

Hit the books. Experiment. Good luck.
The 523 doesn't have native Ethernet, that's the 525. So if he has a 523 he would have had to add a comm card of some sort. If he added an Ethernet card, that was a waste, because a 523 + and Ethernet card and the comm card carrier it needs = more $ than a 525... So more likely he is using some other comm card besides Ethernet, or is using hard wiring. But without telling us what he has, we can't really help.

Not my pic, I used one from the available choices. It's Will Farrell from his brief but funny walk-on role in the 2nd Austin Powers movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMufib-_gLs
"I can't stand to be asked the same question 3 times, it just irritates me..." That's me, I have that quote on my wall as you enter my cubicle.

My error. I have not used the 523.
But the 523 does have analog output. I assume it will be similar to PF 40. Output current can be mapped to the analog output.

But, jreaf, what if some IMOM asks the question twice, then changes to a different question, then comes back to the first question? Would that irritate you the same as if it were three questions? Will Ferrell's character was shot before I could learn this interesting bit of spycraft.

But, jreaf, what if some IMOM asks the question twice, then changes to a different question, then comes back to the first question? Would that irritate you the same as if it were three questions? Will Ferrell's character was shot before I could learn this interesting bit of spycraft.
Yes, it would. I keep track.