OT: Windows Backup

the_msp

Lifetime Supporting Member
What do you folks use for Windows image(s) backups (automatic)?

I've used Acronis before which was pretty awful (buggy). Been recommended Veeam but hard to get info out of them. Prefer websites that just state the price for the feature set rather than RFQ.

Before anyone suggests moving to Linux, I already have several Linux servers. So unless that's going to grab the Windows SSD as an image and re-deploy it to a new disk, needs must have some element of Windows in my office.

Hello,

I use Image for Windows.

Also used BootIt (same company) for a few years. Both work well.
Not sure on the automatic backup. Never looked into if it was supported.

What do you folks use for Windows image(s) backups (automatic)?

I've used Acronis before which was pretty awful (buggy). Been recommended Veeam but hard to get info out of them. Prefer websites that just state the price for the feature set rather than RFQ.

Before anyone suggests moving to Linux, I already have several Linux servers. So unless that's going to grab the Windows SSD as an image and re-deploy it to a new disk, needs must have some element of Windows in my office.
I simply use the file history most of the time. It is automatic and non-intrusive. However, it doesn't make images. It only backs up user files.

I like .iso images
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-38547366-1dcb-7afd-1726-9eb222d72705

I have used carbon copy but it doesn't copy to a standard file format.

I wouldn't use anything that doesn't copy to an .iso image or a .vhdx file.

I have experimented with several flavors of unix. Debian, Ubuntu, MX Linus and linux Mint. I think they have different purposes. If you want something stable and are not going to chase the latest updates then use Debian. Debian is great for servers. For desk top users I like Linux Mint Cinnamon.
Linux mint comes with a back up utility and a program like Mac's Time Machine or Window's file history. The Linux version is called Time Shift.

I learned on Debian. It is very lean and doesn't come with any frills but you can add them using apt or apt-get.
All the linux versions I mentioned above are derived from Debian so they all use the same apt or apt-get to install new programs.

Don't try to override the system distributions. Update the system distribution as they are released. If you need to upgrade faster than the system distribution then learn how to use the virtual environments.

I am doing more and more python programming now. Linux works well. I have a lot of problems with my WIN10 trying to keep my net work working. My Mac Book Pro has no problems access my 2 NAS and USB drives attached to my router. Windows fails.

Not sure if this is out of line but why not virtualize the system and then backing it up is pretty easy?

I believe VMWare has a standalone virtualization tool, but acronis can be used as well.

So if the host crashes, just grab another and spin up the vitualmachine.

Another layer of abstraction, another layer of reduced speed, and I use 9 monitors which don't play nice in a VM'd enviro.

3 x 3 array, top row CCTV and Ignition Designer Console, 3D printer monitoring/buildCam
Centre row task manager,/MySql WorkBench/dBeaver(MariaDB), WhatsApp Web/File Explorer/Excel, Spotify
Bottom left Outlook, middle bottom row main monitor, bottom right Linux SSH client

Multi-tasking in other words :)

3 x 3 array, top row CCTV and Ignition Designer Console, 3D printer monitoring/buildCam
Centre row task manager,/MySql WorkBench/dBeaver(MariaDB), WhatsApp Web/File Explorer/Excel, Spotify
Bottom left Outlook, middle bottom row main monitor, bottom right Linux SSH client

Multi-tasking in other words :)

Here I thought I had something with 3 monitors. Now I'm feeling discontent.

You really should add another monitor dedicated to PLCS.net:ROFLMAO:

I have been using Veeam for a few months now, and really like it. The pricing has dropped a lot in the last couple of years. We are doing yearly subscription based licenses.
Critical systems are backed up every few hours, some daily, and some once a month.
It does windows machines and virtual images both. Really easy to setup and schedule. I had the whole thing running in about 1/2 a day. Plus it has a WAN transfer feature where you can send your backups off site or to the cloud and limit the time and or bandwidth usage. Plus the tech support has been top notch.