What features have you "discovered" that you wish you had known long ago?

Just learned this, in Excel: if you select a row, then hold Shift, it highlights another row every time you hit the Down Arrow. Ctrl-D then duplicates the first row in the others.

Any shortcut keys, once memorized, yield a huge speed advantage over point and click.

Always search the application help file(s) for Shortcut Keys.

Windows shortcuts:
CTRL-C - copy
CTRL-V - paste
CTRL-X - cut
ALT-TAB - switch windows
Windows-D - show desktop
Windows-L - lock computer
Windows-E - launch Explorer
Windows-R - open Run box
ALT-F4 - close window
ALT-SPACE - show Window menu
CTRL-W - close open file
CTRL-O - open file

Windows 7 and above:
Double-click window title to maximize or restore.
Drag window off sides of screen to snap/resize window to that side.
Drag window off TOP of screen to maximize.

Tabbed windows:
CTRL-TAB - switch between tabs
CTRL-F4 - close tab

Firefox (and others)
CTRL-K - search
ALT-D - highlight address bar
CTRL-SHIFT-T - reopen last closed tab
CTRL-T - open new tab

I use CTRL-D (Fill Down) in excel all of the time for copy the Cell(s) above my current cell to populate lower cells. It is a lot quicker than CTRL-C & CTRL-V.

Pressing Ctrl + Tab switches through all open windows in RS5K. I use some shortcuts for years, Ctrl + R for a new rung, Ctrl + W for a new tag, but only learned about this one a few weeks ago...

Don't forget the greatest time saver ctrl-shift-f.

You can also use ctrl-PgUp/Down to cycle between tabs.

Very handy when comparing two routines in one program.

I was doing controls about 10 years before I learned you can assign 2 (or more) IP addresses to the same NIC on a Windows machine (probably other OS's too I imagine). Before that I always used to think IP's had to be one to one with physical hardware, and also that all devices on a switch had to have same IP range etc...but now I know that's totally not the case. You can have some 192.168.1.x PLC stuff and then have your corporate IP of 10.x.x.x and by adding an IP for each to your NIC you can talk to both at the same time...and can have devices with both ranges on the same switch. Unfortunately doesn't work with DHCP (or at least I haven't figured out how to allow DHCP and a separate static IP on the same NIC in Windows)....but still very handy.

And before people harp on me for bad network practice, I recognize these cross addressing schemes probably aren't ideal or recommended for permanent installations, just from a security/traffic isolation point of view...but for testing/start-up scenarios, can be very helpful.

BTW...to do this trick in Windows, press the Advanced button on the IPv4 settings dialog and that brings up the place to add additional IP's. Each one can have it's own gateway IP as well.

Last edited:
Loading multiple rungs from the blank rung in RSLogix using logic created externally.

I had to create the logic to mask around 2,000 faults once, and using the memory map spreadsheet that the guy who programmed the alarms created (thanks Jim!), I wrote an Excel VBA script that created the string for me to load into the blank line. It took about an hour.

I was doing controls about 10 years before I learned you can assign 2 (or more) IP addresses to the same NIC on a Windows machine (probably other OS's too I imagine). Before that I always used to think IP's had to be one to one with physical hardware, and also that all devices on a switch had to have same IP range etc...but now I know that's totally not the case. You can have some 192.168.1.x PLC stuff and then have your corporate IP of 10.x.x.x and by adding an IP for each to your NIC you can talk to both at the same time...and can have devices with both ranges on the same switch. Unfortunately doesn't work with DHCP (or at least I haven't figured out how to allow DHCP and a separate static IP on the same NIC in Windows)....but still very handy.

And before people harp on me for bad network practice, I recognize these cross addressing schemes probably aren't ideal or recommended for permanent installations, just from a security/traffic isolation point of view...but for testing/start-up scenarios, can be very helpful.

BTW...to do this trick in Windows, press the Advanced button on the IPv4 settings dialog and that brings up the place to add additional IP's. Each one can have it's own gateway IP as well.

Multi-hosting is particularly awesome if you need to readdress a machine network to a new subnet.

There is a good reason for that. If the octets in an IP address have a leading zero, they are interpreted as OCTAL numbers. Your example would not actually pose a problem but .010 is eight, not ten.

Except when configuring an AB Stratix Switch from within LogixDesigner, where it stupidly forces you to enter zeros.
10.2.40.5 MUST be entered as 010002040005, but that is just MRI (More Rockwell Idiocy).