What features have you "discovered" that you wish you had known long ago?

Pressing Ctrl + Tab switches through all open windows in RS5K. I use some shortcuts for years, Ctrl + R for a new rung, Ctrl + W for a new tag, but only learned about this one a few weeks ago...

Pressing Ctrl + Tab switches through all open windows in RS5K. I use some shortcuts for years, Ctrl + R for a new rung, Ctrl + W for a new tag, but only learned about this one a few weeks ago...

That Windows feature (CTRL + TAB) is handy in other programs too. If you use Chrome/IE/ Edge browsers and have multiple tabs open you can use that to cycle through the tabs. Probably works in Firefox, but I don't use FF.

OG

copy and paste the structured text in a powerful editor like VIM and have it automatically fix all of the indentations/tabs.

Citect: select a group and press CTRL + G and it opens a box which allows you to edit subitems, sub-genies and subgroups.

PicPick, for explaining things to people with screenshots/diagrams. Blows Snipping Tool out of the water.

RSLogix: keyboard shortcuts to write instructions

That Windows feature (CTRL + TAB) is handy in other programs too. ...

I just tested it with TwinCAT2 & 3, works also. I can't test it with TIA now but I think it won't work - there has to be a Siemens way to do it ;)
Alt + Print + Left OR (Right + 5) will do the trick...

PLC 5 and SLC days you could hold shift and right click on the online animation to choose a new one such as spinning gears or a glowing pumpkin. I forget the different options.

Funny they would to this, but then strip the zeros from an IP address entered like this: 192.168.001.005 -- which shows up as 192.168.1.5, with an undesirable sort order in RS-Who (at least for OCD-ish people).

There is a good reason for that. If the octets in an IP address have a leading zero, they are interpreted as OCTAL numbers. Your example would not actually pose a problem but .010 is eight, not ten.

A coworker showed this to me:

paste a picture of your favorite hmi button into Powerpoint. I just googled "red button"
click on format -> picture recolor
automatically recolors it orange / red / blue / green, while preserving the shading. It's so awesome...

In GX-Works-2: CC-Link Device Reference gives you the Remote I/O and Remote Registers allocation to each station so you don't have to figure Hex in your head.

Pressing F1 with a instruction highlighted takes you it in the Instruction Help Manual

Last edited:

This works in any of the Simatic Step7 Manager (up to V5.5 and PCS7) editors (CFC, SFC, FC/FB) as well.
It's a life saver for when you like having just one window.

There is a good reason for that. If the octets in an IP address have a leading zero, they are interpreted as OCTAL numbers. Your example would not actually pose a problem but .010 is eight, not ten.

Never came across this; guess I've been lucky. Per Wikipedia:

"...It also allowed the numbers to be written in hexadecimal and octal, by prefixing them with 0x and 0, respectively. These features continue to be supported by software until today, even though they are seen as non-standard."

Citation: Main, Andrew (23 February 2005). Textual Representation of IPv4 and IPv6 Addresses. IETF. I-D draft-main-ipaddr-text-rep-02.

Here's one I found today.

I had a massive PDF drawing opened in Adobe and my mouse only has a vertical scroll button.
Pressing shift would change the scroll function to horizontal.
Haven't tried this with another mouse, but it's really handy.