RSLogix 5000 V15 Features

Samneggs

From Rockwell Forum:

Wednesday April 06, 2005 9:22 AM (NEW!)
trans.gif
block.gif

By popular request, below is a llist of the new features that are planned for RSLogix 5000 V15 which is targeted to release in the June 2005 Timeframe:

Language Enhancements
Release V15 of RSLogix 5000 contains a number of language enhancements. They are as follows:

Integrated Phase Manager (Unit Batch)
Version 15 of RSLogix 5000 introduces the integration of the S88 phase state model in the Logix5000 controllers and in the programming environment. The S88 phase state model can be used to easily address complex and simple batch applications. It can also be used to address packaging applications (PackML). Phase Manager provides tighter, faster and more reliable integration with RSBizWare Batch. In addition, Phase Manager eliminates the need to use complex Phase Logic Interface (PLI) when using RSBizWare Batch.
Phases can be sequenced either from an RSBizWare Batch procedure for complex batch control applications or from a routine (i.e. SFC) in the controller for simpler batch applications. RSLogix 5000 V15 includes a rich set of new instructions that allow phases to interact with a RSBizWare Batch procedure or with a routine acting as a procedure in the controller. Additionally, RSLogix 5000 provides a manual phase state control capability useful for startup and troubleshooting.

Increased Program Limit (100) for Select Controllers
With version v13 and earlier, all controllers were limited to 32 programs per task. With release v15, we are extending this limit to 100 for the ControlLogix, SoftLogix and RSLogix Emulate 5000 controllers. This new limit also applies to the new Equipment Phases, as part of the Phase Manager feature. By extending the number of programs to 100, you will have even more flexibility to divide your application into more independent, better manageable and reusable sections of code.

SFC Action String Indicator tags
With the introduction of the Sequential Function Chart programming in release v11 of RSLogix 5000, we gave you the ability to set a tag as an indicator in an action element. When the code in executed, the tag¡¯s numeric value is displayed in the action providing a convenient way of providing status information on the particular operation of that action. This enhancement extends this functionality by allowing setting and displaying the value of a STRING data type tag, which now gives you the ability to displaying a text string in the action. This gives you the ability to provide a more descriptive status indicator in the action. Additionally, by using the built in string manipulation instructions, you can set the tag¡¯s string value programmatically at run-time.

Miscellaneous Enhancements
Release V15 of RSLogix 5000 contains a number of miscellaneous enhancements.

Add 1756 I/O On-line via ControlNet
In order to further extend the applicability of the ControlLogix platform in process applications, release v15 of RSLogix 5000 gives you the ability to add 1756 I/O on-line, in the local chassis and in a remote chassis over ControlNet. This enhancement allows you to add a direct connection to 1756 I/O without having to stop the operation of your process application. The I/O that is added in a remote chassis goes into the un-scheduled bandwidth of ControlNet. For this reason, we recommend that you use a dedicated ControlNet network or cable just for I/O and route the HMI, Message, and RSLogix 5000 workstation traffic to a separate network. Adding motion modules, produced/consumed tags, and rack optimized module connections on-line are not supported at this time.

I/O on ControlNet via Unscheduled Bandwidth
As part of the adding 1756 I/O Online via ControlNet feature, we are also giving you the ability to configure direct connected I/O as unscheduled over ControlNet. This enhancement allows you to carry out simple ControlNet installations where scheduled networks are not required. As per the previous feature, we recommend that you use a dedicated ControlNet network or cable just for I/O and route the HMI, Message, and RSLogix 5000 workstation traffic to a separate network. Be aware that RSNetWorx for ControlNet is required to set the Scheduled Max (SMax), Unscheduled Max (UMax) and Network Update Time (NUT) and doing media configuration parameters.

Change Module Revisions On/Off-Line
With this version of RSLogix 5000, we allow you to change the major revision for bridge modules on-line and off-line. With previous versions of RSLogix 5000, you had go offline delete the bridge and all the modules under it and then re-enter the bridge module and all of the modules under it. This enhancement will reduce migration and maintenance time.

Add New UDTs and Delete Un-Referenced UDTs On-Line
With this version of RSLogix 5000, we allow you to add, modify, and delete un-referenced UDTs (User Defined Data-Type) on-line. With previous versions of RSLogix 5000, this operation was only allowed while off-line. This enhancement will reduce integration and maintenance time.

Discontinued Windows NT Support
With version v15, we are removing the ability to install RSLogix 5000 on a Windows NT based PC. Earlier versions of RSLogix 5000, ¡Üv13, still support Windows NT.

Windows2003 Server Support
With version V15, we are going to start testing RSLogix 5000 against Windows2003 Server. Whether, earlier versions of RSLogix 5000 will run on Windows2003 Server will be determined as the testing progresses.

Open ¡°File-Copy¡± of Locked Project
With release v15 of RSLogix 5000, we allow two or more users to go on-line to the same controller using the same project file. Similar to the behavior of other main-stream applications, when another user attempts to open the same project, that user will be prompted to open a ¡°copy¡± of the file. This enhancement allows for reduced start-up, easier code maintenance, and better file management.

Trending added to RSLogix 5000 Mini and Lite Editions
The functionality of the RSLogix 5000 Mini (9324-RLD200xxE) and Lite (9324-RLD250xxE) Editions has been extended in this release to support trending. RSLogix 5000 Mini and Lite Editions support the CompactLogix and FlexLogix controller product families.

Enhanced Tag Browser
The tag browser is being enhanced in this release to allow for easier selection of tags. Particularly, the new tag browser allows you to filter tags by scope: controller, program or both. Furthermore, you can also filter tags by type. Additionally, the enhanced tag browser provides a visual identification of the controller tags. This enhancement reduces development time.

Enhanced Tag CSV Import/Export
The tag CSV Import/Export feature has been enhanced to allow for all of tags¡¯ attributes to be exported. Particularly, produced/consumed tags configuration is now fully supported. Previously, you had to manually re-configure produced/consumed tags after an import operation. This enhancement reduces development time and gives you greater control over being able to manipulate and create tags using external tools.

CPU Serial Number Verification
This version of RSLogix 5000 allows you to tie a project to a specific Logix5000 controller by comparing the controller¡¯s serial number stored in the project to the serial number of the target controller. This allows you automatic validation during an upload/download operation ensuring that the project is being loaded into the correct controller. This functionality is optional and can be overridden if necessary. This enhancement gives you the mechanism to prevent downloading a project to the wrong controller, thus, reducing unnecessary downtime occurrences.

Enhanced I/O Tree View
In this release we have enhanced the I/O tree view to closely resemble that of RSLinx. Specifically, the tree view now shows icons for the controller, the networks, and the chassis. This provides consistency with RSLinx, offers a more intuitive view of the hardware configuration, and simplifies I/O configuration and maintenance.

Improved Select Module Dialog
The Select Module dialog has been re-designed for easier module selection and to allow you save frequently used modules into a Favorites category. Additionally, the dialog¡¯s look-and-feel matches that of existing dialogs. This enhancement reduces configuration time and improves your work-flow.

Redesigned Tag Propertied Dialogs
The information on the tag properties dialogs has been re-organized and streamlined to provide for simpler tag configuration.

Improved Array Dimension Creation
The array dimension creation has been re-arranged on the tag data-type dialog to ensure that data is maintained when adding a dimension. Previously, tag¡¯s data would be lost when changing the array dimensions.

Unicode Infrastructure for Asian Languages
This version of RSLogix 5000 includes support for Unicode infrastructure to support Asian based languages. Consequently, the Import/Export functionality has been updated so that descriptions appear natively.

continued....

Report Enhancements
As part of the on-going effort to provide you with even better reporting capabilities, this release of RSLogix 5000 includes another report enhancement:

Configurable Report Margins
With this release of RSLogix 5000, you can set the page margins for your reports, whether left, right, top and bottom. This allows you to customize the printing to match your specific page formatting needs.

Motion Enhancements
As part of the on-going effort to provide you with further extend the motion capabilities, this release of RSLogix 5000 includes a number of enhancements targeted for motion applications. They are as follows:

Axis Inhibit
With this release, you will be able to programmatically, using the SSV/GSV instructions, inhibit and get inhibit state for the configured axes. This allows you greater control over your application. Specifically, it allows you to write one version of your application code and programmatically scale the number of axes up/down depending upon your application¡¯s requirements. Be aware, that inhibiting a SERCOS axis will cause the SERCOS ring to be re-initialized.

ControlFlash for SERCOS drives
Up to release v13 of RSLogix 5000, you could flash the SERCOS drives by using a special cable and in a point-to-point configuration only. With release v15 of RSLogix 5000, you will be able to flash the SERCOS drives by using the standard ControlFlash application. Additionally, you will be able to flash the drives remotely by leveraging the RSWho Browse capabilities built-in in ControlFlash. This enhancement allows for a consistent flash method with the rest of the system, while allowing for remote flash upgrades.

New Termination Types
Two new termination types are being added in release V15 of RSLogix 5000. They are as follows:

Follow Contour V Constrained (type 4)
This termination type maintains the exact programmed profile and eliminates speed bumps on tangential intersections. The max allowed speed is specified by the multi-axis coordinated instruction.

Follow Contour V Unconstrained (type 5)
This termination is similar to termination type 4 as it maintains exact programmed profile, eliminates speed bumps on tangential intersections, but it adds the ability to have constant acc/dec across multiple segments. In order to accomplish the latter, it requires user to program exact speed and deceleration values. The max allowed speed is specified by the multi-axis coordinated instruction.

Both termination types apply to multi-axis coordinated instructions (single or multi-axis moves).
These new termination types eliminate the rounding issues at path intersections that occur when using termination types 2 and 3. This enhancement is targeted for applications where maintaining the path, a constant acc/dec, and/or eliminating velocity bumps on tangential intersections is required (i.e.: pick-and-place, glue dispensing, material cutting)

Kinetix 6000 Enhancements
A number of Kinetix 6000 enhancements are included in release V15 of RSLogix 5000. They are as follows:

Safe-Off Drive Profiles - (12 new profiles)
The new integrated ¡°safe-off¡± function will be integrated in the Kinetix 6000 Series B drives. In order to support these drives, new profiles will be included in this release of RSLogix 5000 allowing you to identify the safety related functions of the drives. These drives feature a new integrated ¡°safe-off¡± function allowing you to meet EN954-1 Cat 3 without external hardware.

DC Common Bus Support
This new Kinetix 6000 feature allows you to share DC bus power between Kinetix 6000 chassis. By sharing regenerative loads, you can avoid costly resistive braking hardware and reduce dissipation heat in the enclosure.

Kinetix 6000 Asynchronous (Induction) Motor support - Motion database adds only
With this release, Kinetix 6000 drives can support asynchronous (induction type) motors. These database additions allow you to easily select and setup supported motor models for applications such as conveyors, diverters, etc.

Ron Bliss

-------------------------
Rockwell Automation
Logix / Netlinx Business
Software Marketing Manager
trans.gif

But have they changed the horrible way compute instructions are displayed yet??!!

Seriously, it looks like V15 has some pretty cool changes.

Keith

As far as I remember this version should have new PIDE configuration dialog with multiple tabs.
I saw this in the beta release about 6 months ago.

Yes the Phase State Model part looks interesting but the phase logic interface only appears to be for RS's Batch software, nothing for Wonderware or Intellution. Anyway I didn't think that there was a standard for the phase logic interface yet. S88 part one made reference to it but S88 part one was only a standard for terminology. Perhaps now that a PLC software company is getting on the bandwagon, the "industry standard" will follow.

The biggest thing I'm personally waiting for, is ControlNet support with CompactLogix. Rockwell finally reversed themselves on the original decision NOT to include CNet on CompactLogix.

Can't you buy the L32C or L35CR yet?

I think all enhancements are good things. A person just has to decide if they are important to them. I know the Enhanced Tag browser, modifying UDT's On-Line and adding I/O online will make my life easier.

Enhanced Tag CSV Import/Export
The tag CSV Import/Export feature has been enhanced to allow for all of tags¡¯ attributes to be exported. Particularly, produced/consumed tags configuration is now fully supported. Previously, you had to manually re-configure produced/consumed tags after an import operation. This enhancement reduces development time and gives you greater control over being able to manipulate and create tags using external tools.

I wonder if that means UDTs will be expanded out in the .CSV file.

I noticed a few other things I'd ask my sales guy:

1. Do the "miscellaneous improvements" deal with the fatal errors generated during function block edits?

2. Does dropping Windows NT support include Windows2000? I still think that's the most stable Microsoft operating system yet, and I don't intend to upgrade until the logo on the splash screen starts growing mold.

Unfortunately for me, my project is locked in at version 13. We WON'T be running around upgrading firmware unless all other options are exhausted. So, I guess I'll just watch the rest of you have fun with this new toy.

AK

Does dropping Windows NT support include Windows2000? I still think that's the most stable Microsoft operating system yet, and I don't intend to upgrade until the logo on the splash screen starts growing mold.
From the South are you? The climate down there can grow that "screen mold" PDQ.:) I am 99% sure that Windows NT does NOT include Windows 2000.

The features that interest me are:

1 The ability to add ControlNet IO without re-scheduling. I am in the middle of planning a major re-automation for a large water supply plant that I cannot stop. Being able to add new adaptors step at a time over a period of many months is going to be critical.

2. Nice to see the ability to add new UDT's. Seems like a half-way house to the holy grail of being able to edit referenced UDT's online. I wonder if that is still planned for?

ushidayo said:
Yes the Phase State Model part looks interesting but the phase logic interface only appears to be for RS's Batch software, nothing for Wonderware or Intellution. Anyway I didn't think that there was a standard for the phase logic interface yet. S88 part one made reference to it but S88 part one was only a standard for terminology. Perhaps now that a PLC software company is getting on the bandwagon, the "industry standard" will follow.
The Phase State Model has been a part of the PID/Sequencia/RSBatch software since I first heard of it over 10 years ago and I think it must be part of the S88 standard. The phase logic interface (PLI) is program in the PLC to implement the model and interface to the batch s/w. The PLI that I am familiar with is ladder code for the PLC-5 that was created by PID, not AB/Rockwell, and supplied with the batch s/w. The new 'Phase Manager' eliminates the need for this ladder code and would appear to make it much easier for a programmer to concentrate on an application rather than the nuances of the interface.

Interesting that Rockwell advocate using the Phase Manager without RSBatch and provide complementary instructions to facilitate using a SFC within the PLC to sequence the phases.

I believe Intellution's batch s/w has similar PID/Sequencia heritage to RSBatch and could probably make good use of the Phase Manager although it wouldn't benefit from the specific comm enhancements applicable to RSBatch.

I think Wonderware's InBatch does not have the same ancestry and so may not gain.

edit: forgot to mention this requires a separate activation ($) (n)

Last edited:
PhilipW said:
From the South are you? The climate down there can grow that "screen mold" PDQ.:) I am 99% sure that Windows NT does NOT include Windows 2000.

The features that interest me are:

1 The ability to add ControlNet IO without re-scheduling. I am in the middle of planning a major re-automation for a large water supply plant that I cannot stop. Being able to add new adaptors step at a time over a period of many months is going to be critical.

2. Nice to see the ability to add new UDT's. Seems like a half-way house to the holy grail of being able to edit referenced UDT's online. I wonder if that is still planned for?
I'm from Wisconsin. I guess I should've said "until the logo rusts out."

Good points, by the way. I really dislike RSNetworx, because it's just one more piece of software with LOTS of gizmos that I probably don't need and don't have time (budget) to learn. Plug-and-Play CNET would be cool.

And of course, online edits of UDTs just gets us one step closer to full-featured online programming.

AK

akreel said:
I really dislike RSNetworx, because it's just one more piece of software with LOTS of gizmos that I probably don't need and don't have time (budget) to learn. Plug-and-Play CNET would be cool. AK
It won't be plug-and-play.
It will allow you to add to an existing CNet without RSNetworx.
To create a new network you will still need to use RSNetworx to get it off the ground.

What happened to CDMs? (Custom Data Monitor) I know on Rev 13 that they added a watch window. If you click on 'Quick Watch', you can watch any variable you like, but you can't save it for future use. When is this going to be put back in?