Virtual pc for running programming software

Plc_User

In future I should like to use a virtual pc to run my programming software.
My preference goes to a free release of VMWare virtual pc.
I have now pc with 2Gb ram, a T7200 2Ghz processor. Is this configuration to smoothely run a virtual station on it, or should I raise the ram to 4 G. What machine are you running a virtual station on?
Cann I acces my pcmia card (CP5512) and my com-port from the VMWare virtual station?
Are there better (and also free) virtual stations then VMWare (and can they acces CP5512 and com)?
Just tell me your experiences.

No Type 2 hypervisor can utilize a PCMCIA slot. You will need a USB to Profibus adapter, such as a CP-5711.

As an alternative to VMware Workstation, you could use Virtualbox. I switch between the 2, but either or will work. Virtualbox is free, whereas VMware Workstation will run about $189. I dont normally recommend VMware Server, but it is free as well.

As for the memory issue, I would recommend atleast 4 GB RAM. I used to run XP with 2 GB and a single virtual machine, and it would start swapping sometimes. Now, I run a machine with 8 GB RAM, as I normally have 2-3 VMs running.

Let me know if you need more help

As for the memory issue, I would recommend atleast 4 GB RAM. I used to run XP with 2 GB and a single virtual machine, and it would start swapping sometimes. Now, I run a machine with 8 GB RAM, as I normally have 2-3 VMs running.

Let me know if you need more help

I thought there was 3 GIG ceiling on Ram with XP ? or is your 8 G machine running another OS ?

The 4Gig ceiling is with microsofts 32bit OSems. Why you see 3,5Gig is becouse there is other memory than ram to give address space too. So with any ms 32bit os you are limited to maximum usable ram of 3,5Gig.

So use always 64bit os if you want to be able to use more than that 3,5Gig of ram with ms os. Linux and Unix usually can use more than 3,5Gig even with 32bit.

I would recommend usb connected programming cables.

Virtual Box from Sun is really good. I have been using it for years without a problem.
I have 4 gig RAM and Vista Business.

Yeah I switch between 64 bit Ubuntu and 64 bit Windows 7. Main issue here though is the fact that he wants to use a PCMCIA card, which will NOT work with a Type 2 hypervisor, and probably still wont work with a Type 1.