Windows 11

Robb B

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyone running windows 11 successfully, no major grief? The current laptop is prompting to "upgrade" from windows 10. I'm not sure what benefits, if any would be gained. Primary use for me is ethernet connectivity to SLC and ControlLogix platforms, and serial/usb converter (which is a lot of fun finding an adapter that works well). My older laptop has windows 8.1 which has been mostly successful, though it will soon be unsupported (End of Life by Microsoft).

So, upgrade or no upgrade?

My personal systems run Win11 fine.

My work ones? Still on 10 as most of my software doesn't 'officially' support Win11 yet and I can't be bothered trying to make it work yet.

Wait for official support for the industrial software that you use.

In my opinion, Windows 10 and Windows 11 are probably the closest relatives among the past Windows versions, so major issues shouldn't be expected. But if you call your software vendor with a problem and they officially do not support Windows 11, they will tell you to run it on Windows 10.

I had a client have a computer automatically upgrade to Windows 11 running CitectSCADA (now Aveva Plant SCADA), and it's still running fine... but I could not find official support for Windows 11. In their case it was OK, but I still do not recommend it.

Last edited:
I'm running Windows 11 exclusively, as I'm running an M1 MacBook Pro host, and the only option is W11 ARM.

There have been a few challenges (and I swear to god if I find the Microsoft engineer who removed the ability to never group taskbar buttons from W11 I am going to have Strong Words to say) but in general, most things are working. There are a few exceptions, but they could also be related to the "ARM" factor rather than the "W11" factor.

For ethernet access to CLX/SLC I can't see you having any issues. USB-serial should be fine - I had some trouble there but that was specifically related to the fact that I'm running Windows ARM, not W11.

FYI I documented my exploits to get all the RA software installed on W11 here in case it's of any use to you.

I don't have to worry about this so far.

I have 6 desktops, one a gaming PC less than 2 years old, 2 laptops and a Windows tablet running Windows10 that ALL report they will not install Windows 11 - so sc*** MicroSlow on this.

I have win 11 with a number of older PLC/HMI IDE's most work ok, USB/232 you will need a converter with a FTDI chip as as far as I know has a driver compatible with win 11, some of the older types do not support it, S7 Classic V5.5 I know will not install, GXWorks & GT Designer work well, RSL500 & simulator seems to work, however, never tried going on-line, I keep a laptop with Win 7 just incase.

My current FTDI based serial converter works pretty well. I've never had issues getting online with Micrologix's and SLCs with DH485 due to the chips or windows 10 or 8.1. I think I will wait for official support before upgrading. Only the windows 10 laptop qualifies for the upgrade.

I was on Win10 & my USB/232 worked fine, upgrade to 11 then it would not work, could not find an updated driver for any apart from the one with an FTDI chip, it appears the earlier chips were discontinued so they have not updated the drivers.

I run all my software through VMs, base machine updated to Win11, but I've not had to make any VMs win11 yet.

I'm going to presume that by the time I do have to, Win11 will be supported in whatever software package I need Win11 for.