Mobile HMI w/ bar scanner capability

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm laying the groundwork for a system that will allow prompt the operator of a forklift to retrieve a certain pallet and load it onto one of four waiting trailers. Confirmation of the correct pallet will be accomplished using the scanner to compare the barcode on the pallet to the one sent to the HMI from an external data source. In order to verify the correct trailer is loaded, I'd like a second scanner pointing up from the cage of the forklift to read a permanently-mounted bar code on the door header.

It'd be great if I could just mount an HMI on the truck, plug a suitable scanner (or two) into it, and communicate via a wireless client adapter to an access point.

If this isn't possible, I could also mount a Micrologix 1100 on the truck with suitable serial adapters to connect the scanners to.

Does anyone have recommendations and/or hardware suggestions?

Here is an example of what we did on a crane operator basket with wireless HMI's doing about the same thing you are looking for:

SteelPlant Wireless HMI's

It's a combination of Red Lion DataStation Plus products talking to the PLC's (very old Reliance AutoMax PLC), then connected to the Banner SureCross DR9M wireless radio which then talks to the radio at the HMI which is in the cab of the crane. This is bi-directional communications between all of the devices. The HMI has many extra ports so you could easily connect the bar code scanner to it and have it read in that data as well.

For your application you probably wouldn't even need a PLC as you could do all of your logic in the HMI itself.

Just an idea that I offer to you.

Joe_WaZoo

Joe, that's pretty cool.

What would also be awesome and in high demand would be an all-in-one wireless HMI device that you could carry around on the plant floor, or remove from the processing areas during clean-up.

Looks like you already have the details hurdled except for perhaps battery power!

Nice work.

Just wait - there will be an app for a smart phone that will allow it to function as a wireless HMI soon if there's enough demand. We're considering using them for order pickers. They're cheap, easy to write apps for and can communicate over GPRS, GSM or WiFi

Great! I can't wait for the idiots from the Cell Phone stores to visit your plant and offer help. They usually are very knowledgeable about all their techie stuff when you talk to them at the stores or kiosks. Not! And if you use the smart phone for your application, the fork lift operator can be "texting" while working. That will always help keep the production up and on schedule.

Joe

Took a look at your link. Good thing I worked in a steel mill the video brought back some memories. It appears the video sound track got screwed up - vebal explanations got overwritten by rock n roll.

Dan Bentler

Just wait - there will be an app for a smart phone that will allow it to function as a wireless HMI soon if there's enough demand. We're considering using them for order pickers. They're cheap, easy to write apps for and can communicate over GPRS, GSM or WiFi

Come on then, are we talking Android, Windows Mobile, I-Phone, Symbian S40 or S60 ???

It's tough to say if your doubting me, or not, but one should never be too quick to jump to any conclusion...

I'm not saying it'll happen tomorrow, but it will happen.

In any case, we're deviating from the topic of this thread.

Can anyone recommend hardware?

I am sure that telemecanique did soem "ruggedised" HMI's and PLC's all IP66 rated DC powered for use on transportable things (eg tractors etc) but I am struggling to find anything

I saw a unit a few years back. Can't remember the manufacturer, but I seem to recall it was built by a hydraulic equipment manufacturer - Eaton, Char-Lynn, Dennison... Can't seem to find anything on the 'net, though.