Remote HMI/Dashboard Viewing on mobile device

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
Seeking ideas here. This is not really VPN access but just to let someone have view-only access to local HMI screens on their phone from anywhere. I explored options about it seem they all involving logging into VPN first even if the HMI is web-based like Ignition.

So I'm down to the following options, not sure if these will work:

-Web page HMI + mobile VPN

For example, Iginition Edge that allows one remote client. If the phone can log into the VPN then the phone's browser can be used to open the web client page, right?

-Cloud based Dashboard

I understand E*on and Stridelinx both offer user build webpage in their cloud to display some values from the local control-system. These will obvious looks different than the local HMI but maybe all I need. How quickly do the value update and how much graphic ability do these web page offer?

Last edited:
Can you just use a vpn and a vnc viewer? This is what we do and it works quite well. Performance is only limited by the connection speed.

If you want access to inside the plant from outside the plant, you want a VPN.

Some HMIs, like the Comfort line from Siemens, support a VNC based remote mirroring method, which displays exactly what the operator sees. There is typically a way to

Other things like SCADA systems can offer HTML5 views of their screens, and typically have a cheaper view only license.

Many devices also offer an integrated web page. You mentioned some routers that do; many things like PLCs can also do that. With V17 of TIA Portal, you can even use the HMI package to create basic web pages that are served up from an S7-1500 PLC. Plenty of other PLCs support web pages, but typically require you to make your own HTML for anything custom.

We use Red Lion HMIs and Stridelinx VPN routers. To access the HMI webserver, the end user has to open the Stridelinx app first, supply credentials (he or she can allow their phone to remember them) then tap the router listed (only one for most of our customers, but our company has all of them listed) Then tap the link we have named "HMI" that appears below it.

I can set the link to go directly to the "Remote View" which is a replica of the HMI putting them in control of it at that point (3 taps if they let their phone store the credentials), or I normally just leave it at the default where they are offered the Log Files link along with Remote View so they are in control with 4 taps.

There are always going to be multiple steps if you want any level of security, but they are pretty quick and painless for authenticated users. The Stridelinx VPN router doesn't require us to use the "Connect to VPN" option unless we are using it to connect remotely with PLC software, and none of our end users have PLC guys that need to do that, but if they did, it's only one more step plus knowing how to set up the software to properly browse the remote controls LAN.

Our small rural water customers love this feature and use it quite a lot. They can be ten miles from town working on a well and log in to check tank levels or edit a setting. Or they can be on vacation in another state and check in on their systems.

Thanks all, I have to chew it over a bit.

The multiple level of action is what I'm trying to avoid. The primary user for this system will not be techs but rather site manager from 3rd party (not our own employee) outfits. To view the actual HMI screen is great but not absolutely necessary if I can get them a dashboard of the critical process info would be sufficient therefore I'm wondering about the cloud-based Dashboard abilities which they can log in just with a browser and doesn't need VPN.

they also want access to a proposed NVR (camera) system so that's another can of worm I need to work through with IT.

Bump, due to our IT. I will not likely get to use the VPN functionality, however, they have no problem with someone accessing the cloud based dashboard.

Does anyone know the tag limit per device for cloud based dashboard?

Also, I learned of a new device called samsara. It was originally developed for fleet vehicle but they now do industrial protocol as well like modbus and Ethernet/IP. It's not a VPN device but just send data to the cloud.

AFIK, Ignition Edge Panel comes with a local and remote Vision client. Vision is not really web-based (you are thinking of their Perspective client). You need a device that supports Java standard edition to run Vision clients. A phone cannot run Java standard edition.

You would need a VPN plus VNC or a GotoMyPC type of remote desktop client to look at the HMI.

A Microsoft Surface gizmo can run the correct Java, but that's not as convenient as a phone.

We've recently been testing an application using a cloud based HMI system called Ubidots based on the MQTT protocol. In our case, it is for a simple point to point system between a tank and a valve vault with a large hill in between making radio telemetry impractical and there is no good physical location for a real HMI or internet access.

So we got two Click Plus PLCs and two cell modems, created the HMI in Ubidots. There were some hurdles mainly getting around the quirks of what happens to the MQTT bits in the Clicks when we tested things like loss of power, loss of cell signal, etc. The Ubidots setup was discovered by my boss and apparently Red Lion has a good relationship with them and has added an MQTT connector specifically for them in Crimson 3.1. We wanted to get Red Lion DA series controllers but the lead times are crazy right now and the Clicks were in stock and a lot less expensive.

Back on your topic though, Ubidots is cloud based HMI that has a lot of features for access levels and customization and the service is not terribly expensive. Their tech support set up a zoom call to help guide us and they were very friendly and receptive to our input.

Last edited:
Have been playing around with dashboards the last few months. With AWS and Azure. As i am not IT i got very frustrated with all the different packages etc you need to get this up and running. We use Secomea sitemanagers on most of our sites for remote maintenance....They offer something called DCC which is their own cloud based dashboards. The sitemanager then collects registers out of our plc and pushes it to their cloud database. Then our customers can log into onto a the dcc with their own usernames and passwords and we just create a dashboard for each customer.
Made my life a lot easier. The service is pricey though. Roughly 300 euros per month but you can then have multiple customers that you charge per month for their dashboards.

Thanks, ubidot looks interesting but seems more work involving doing MQTT instead of using a proprietary box like samsara. but I guess that make them much more of an open platform.

Both of these also seems very pricey compared to e*on or Stradlinx and only make sense for many sites. I will take a closer look at each. Thanks,