PLC, Remote IO and HMI in same Profibus Network

xcyong89

Hi,

I have a doubt about the system architecture shows below:

1.png

could two master devices install in same profibus network?

It is possible. If it is a siemens HMI, then you can setup routing between the HMI and the PLC CPU.

Is this an upgrade of an existing system from S7-300 to S7-1500, and then keeping existing ET200M racks on profibus ?
If so, a smarter simpler way would be to exhange the Profibus IM153-1 in the ET200M racks for Profinet IM153-4.
Unless the HMI is ancient, there is usually ethernet on board besides Profibus.

thanks a lot for the feedback.

Yes, this is a upgrade task of existing system from S7-300 to S7-1500 and keep existing ET200M racks and existing HMI (Siemens WinCC Flexible without Ethernet port) on profibus.

kindly find the existing architecture below:

2.png

In this case, does the design of Profinet IM153-4 is suitable for this task?

Last edited:
If everything is Siemens everything should be taken care of automatically from a configuration point of view. You need to take care of station numbers and network parameters. The HMI is a master class II device, the PLC is a master class I device and the remote IO is a passive device. Normally station 1 for the PLC, station 2 for the HMI and higher station numbers for the remote IO. Last active station should be at least the same as the HMI, in this example, 2.

Last edited: