Replacing a Siemens 505 BASIC module.

Andy6

Hey all,

I have a project in the works to replace an old Siemens 505 rack, unfortunately the rack contains a 386/ATM card and two BASIC modules. I've mostly worked out how the 386 will be replaced (as its simply a PC in a card). But my biggest concern is the BASIC modules. The devices they are talking to have no real chance of being replaced or modified, so I'm stuck having to get these talking to a new PLC.

Anybody have any experience with replacing a BASIC module to communicate to a Windows PC? I know there is some software available to do the BASIC communications, but getting that data into an OPC server might be the issue.

The last resort might be the leave the rack and only move the IO to the new PLC.

Do any of the big names still make BASIC modules? Any "simple" converters out there?

Thanks,

Is the basic module running some BASIC code, or is it just used as a serial port to communicate with the external devices ?

If module is actually running some BASIC code, do you have the source code ?
I am guessing that it will be not so difficult to convert to Structured Text (is similar to PASCAL).
If that is a possibility you can place the code in a regular PLC, and you have access to the associated data via a regular OPC server.

Do you know the format or the protocol of the communication to the external devices ?
I am guessing that it is plain ASCII.
If it is plain ASCII, you can replicate the behaviour with a serial port for the PLC.

The module is running BASIC code and I have the source. It kind of looks like it might be ASCII but I'm not 100% sure.

No idea how the existing device functions, communication wise or anything else, its a "PC" in the broadest sense of the word. It's a printer/ink control computer.

Thanks for the hints.

Hello Andy

We used the basics for serial communication with weighing scales datapond 85.
In the plant where I work we replaced 8 of these scales with newer contolunits that have a profibus interface and connected them to our CTI (replacement for TI plc) plc,s profibus interface.

At this moment we have still one 505-7101 running

If you dont want to replace the serial equipment that is atached to the basics then you have to use a serial interface module that fits in the plc system that you are going to use.

It is also not possible to replace the rbc or cpu with a profibus rbc and in this way intergrate the basic in a new control system because a profibus rbc doesnt support special function io like the basic is.

So you have to decode the basic code and covert it to serial code for your new control system.

Good luck.

Kind regards
Henny