Finding FTV .mer version?

I know this is an older thread, but if you have access to the panelview, either directly or remotely over an ethernet connection. You can go into the ME firmware upgrade wizard and select the desired panelview like you would if you were going to flash it. It will show you the current firmware and you can just exit out of the upgrade wizard once you have the info you need.

Only thing is....as mentioned in post #8, the firmware of the PV does not necessarily have to match the application version. I can have an application that is v10 running on a v11 PanelView. As long as the PV is the same or newer is all that matters from the PV perspective.

OG

Last edited:
This is why I always add the version number to the name of the MER file.
For example: MyApp_V10.mer

We contemplated doing this, it's still easy to make a runtime in a version that is not the file name, giving you misleading information. All of our machines at work have a version of the tool I made running in the background, where you just drag the MER/APA to the upper corner of our screens and it spits out the version information.

On a side note, I re-wrote the tool using python, it no longer depends on 7zip. That'll be on github eventually for those who like python (probably just me).

Edit: in the python version, I also added something to check the protection status (not protected, conversion not allowed, password protected).

Last edited:
We contemplated doing this, it's still easy to make a runtime in a version that is not the file name, giving you misleading information. All of our machines at work have a version of the tool I made running in the background, where you just drag the MER/APA to the upper corner of our screens and it spits out the version information.

On a side note, I re-wrote the tool using python, it no longer depends on 7zip. That'll be on github eventually for those who like python (probably just me).

Edit: in the python version, I also added something to check the protection status (not protected, conversion not allowed, password protected).

Why Rockwell doesn't offer a tool like this is beyond me.

FYI,

The FactoryTalk View ME Application Manager now shows you the version of an .APA or .MER file. Haven't tried it on SE yet. Open the tool and select Restore or Restore Runtime. Select the file and the application version will be displayed. You do not have to actually perform the restore.

It does not give any additional detail like what dmroeder mentions his tool will provide.

OG

ME version info.png

Last edited: