Difference of Integer and Word..

Difference of Integer and word =
Difference of girl and woman =
Difference of chick and babe =
Difference of technician and engineer

There is, unfortunately, NO consistent answer to the question.

Ask 100 people, get 52 1/2 different answers.
The only right answer is the answer that matches the application's definition.

So, as always, RTFM.

My contention (on this very contentious thread) is that one defines the size of the "word" in question and that definition works for that conversation. The next conversation might well use a different defintion.

Two days ago, I posted the post below in the thread called "rs 485 no talk!!

I used the term 'word' to describe the bit pattern of a single 'word' in a Modbus RTU transmission.

My question to those advocates of an unchangeable, fixed length definition for 'word' (asserted to be 16 bits by majority expression in this thread), is:

what term should I have used for 'word', where the word set of bits being talked about consists of a start bit, an 8 bit data word, a parity bit and a stop bit?

I await your advice and replies.

----------------- post from "rs 485 no talk" thread --------
The scope screen shots are very interesting. Thanks for posting those.

14yanuo.jpg

Initial section of exploded view

Is RS-485 negative logic? (logic zero = positive voltage) ?

How do you read the first word?

Is the initial transition to - 3V preparation to drive to +3v or is the -3V a logic state bit?

Meaning, is the -3V the start bit or is +3V the start bit?
Is the first word (start bit, 2 nibbles/8 bits of data, parity, stop bit)

1 0111 1101 00 or
0 1000 0010 11 ?

----------- end of "rs 485 no talk" post -------------

Last edited:
So, anyone tell me, is a word 'HELLO' 32-bit or 64-bit?

Homer, in case you have given up, "HELLO" sent to a PLC would probably take more than one "word" of PLC memory. For example, if your PLC was an Allen-Bradely PLC or SLC and you had a BASIC module installed, you could send two characters "HE" to Word 0 and "LL" to Word 1, and "O" to Word 2.

Without a BASIC module, you might need 1 PLC memory word for each character.

Lancie1, I was just kidding :)
But now I am not - you forgot a first 'invisible' byte in "HELLO" which defines a string lenght :) - In first "word" there will be 5H, in second EL.... :)

Lancie1, I was just kidding :)
But now I am not - you forgot a first 'invisible' byte in "HELLO" which defines a string lenght :) - In first "word" there will be 5H, in second EL.... :)

If you are going to insist on being so pedantic about everything, then you need to qualify what device/processor you are talking about in every statement.

In the above case, I could ASSUME you mean on the Allen Bradley SLC/PLC platforms, but since you did not, I'll state categorically that you are yet again incorrect. Everyone knows that an Allen Bradley Control/Compact/Flex Logix series processor default "STRING" type has two data members, neither of which are hidden. The first of which is a 32 bit DINT called .LEN indicating the length of characters actually stored in the .DATA section of a string.

And here I was, thinking that "word" was a glass, and "integer" was the beverage you pour into the glass.

Or "word" is a car, but "integer" is a rally car.

But then again, what do I know..... :D

If you are going to insist on being so pedantic... ...Everyone knows that an Allen Bradley Control/Compact/Flex Logix series processor default "STRING" type has two data members, neither of which are hidden.

I do not think that, example, Mbwani Mazunga (seventh son of a tribe chief) from Senegal knows that 'an Allen Bradley Control/Compact/Flex Logix series processor default "STRING" type has two data members, neither of which are hidden'
:)

And here I was, thinking that "word" was a glass, and "integer" was the beverage you pour into the glass.

Or "word" is a car, but "integer" is a rally car.

But then again, what do I know..... :D

Right... Container and content :)

Huh??

Jumbo, I also took a university corse and I am a bachelor.
But, who realy helped a begginer who asked for a help?
You, wo tells him about Abraham and Moses, or me, who told him that in THIS conference, about PLC-s, WORD IS ALWAYS 16-bit?
Pseudo-intelectual talks intended to confuse someone or intended to present someone as an 'expert', do not help anyone.

What are you talking about? you are jabbering like a little girl. girls have no logic