PLC2 Communications Help

GTUnit

I have a customer with a faulted PLC2 due to an extended power failure where the battery backup lost power as well.

I cannot communicate with the processor.
Using:
AI-2 Software Ver 6.25
Old Windows 98 SE Laptop
1784-PCMK /b card
1784-PCM2 cable

AB PCMK drivers loaded fine and card shows up correctly in Device Manager Slot 0.

Running AI-2 from within Win98.
I get the following error:
PCL_LINK_Error returned an error code on -4.
Error Initializing DH+ - No Serial Port Found!

Any ideas on why I cannot seem to get the comms working.
I have not used this software before so going into this as a newbie.

One thing I noticed
the error message Initializing DH+ no serial port
PLC2 uses DH not DH+ they are not the same
also to upload download or program the PLC2 you need to use the programming port in the front of the processor it should be a 15 pin DIN plug
there is another post on this here someplace

One thing I noticed
the error message Initializing DH+ no serial port
PLC2 uses DH not DH+ they are not the same
also to upload download or program the PLC2 you need to use the programming port in the front of the processor it should be a 15 pin DIN plug
there is another post on this here someplace

Hey Gary,

I am using the front 15pin on the processor. AB Cable 1784-PCM2 is the 15pin.
I also followed the instructions for Win98 in the following Technote:
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52624

If I try and go online the program closes.

From the error message you are trying to connect using DH+
the PLC2 dos not support DH+
you may have the wrong driver loaded
the other thing the AI software only supports com 1 or com 2 while windows usually assigned a higher com number to the com port I have always had to go in and resign the com port to 1 or 2. When the Ai software was introduced it was for DOS only and com ports were hardwired to the mother board
a thought just het me are you using AI2 or AI3 the are for different processors the PLC3 supports programming over DH

Last edited:
I am using AI2 ver 6.25
Does the PMCIA card use a COMM port? I did not think it did.
Attached image shows the error when I try to upload program from PLC2

IMG_7735.jpg

Last edited:
I thought the PCMCIA card was DH+
I have never used one myself but the are obsolete now and not supported
if I remember the early PLC5's ethernet connected with a 15 pin din to RJ45 adaptor for ethernet I think the also use a 15 pin din connector for the DH+
I know the PLC2's can only be programmed using the 15 pin programming port the DH was separated card in the rack
I have always use my RS232 to channel RS422 converter to the programming port
I have even used it with a USB RS232 port in a VM machine
but the USB com port must be set up for com 1 or com 2 only the AI software uses the hardware address for communications

You won't use a logical or physical Windows COM port in this case; the software could be set up to use one with a PLC-2 if you had a RS-232 interface card like the classic 1771-KE or the 1770-KF2, which is why there are configuration options that mention serial ports.

The PLC-2 front port was a current-loop serial port, unlike most modern serial ports. The 1784-PCMK had multiple physical interfaces (DH+, DH485, PLC2) depending on which cable you attached. This will be the 1784-PCM2 cable (as described).

It looks like you're getting close, with AI-2 set up to use the PCMK card.

We can safely assume the controller's memory was cleared if the backup battery is dead and the controller was un-powered for a few days; the PLC-2 has no capacitor backup.

So I don't think there's any way to "go online" or "upload". Only "Download" will restore the controller's program from an offline archive.

I don't recall how to restore an EEPROM manually on the PLC-2; first examine the controller for a 1772-MJ, 1786-MJ, or 1785-MK EEPROM plug.

Don't get panic yet, you can choose to fly me out there or Ken can help too. :=)
If I do recall , Ken was saying something about no free advises with anything related to PLC2. Sounds like he broke his own rule, Just kidding.

You have not told us what PLC processor we are dealing with. The PC hardware & software you have looks good, BUT do you have backup program? and yes connected directly to the front port of the processor. I would chose F1 to download the program and hit enter to clear the program. Also verify the address

Last edited:
Its a PLC2/30. We found a program backup on a floppy. Hopefully I can open these files and download tomorrow. I will try it on my Windows XP laptop since AI-2 seems to be behaving better there then on the Windows98 laptop.

Capture.JPG

let us know how you make out
I think the 2-30 has removable - expandable memory card
I also remember a notes someplace that some of the early ones had a core memory board

Thank you for the help guys. Greatly appreciated.
I am a bit stuck now. The PLC A.I. 6.25 Software is looking for a .LAD program file which none of my disks contain. Its not in the list of files I posted above. No .IB1 files either.

The .LAD file is the ladder program all the rest are supporting files
Symbols, Descriptions, Rung Descriptions ect.
without it you have no program
the .LAD file is the only file that is downloaded to the PLC the rest only reside in the PC
so you may be out of luck
Time to upgrade to Logix

from you pic the program name is L-A
the .XRF is the cross reference file
the .BAK may be the backup file
Save all the filed to separate location for save keeping
change the L-A.BAK file to L-A.LAD and see it you can download it
or there may be an option to restore from backup in the menu

I don't even know what program package generated these files. It makes no sense for the facility to have 2 separate project backup floppys (different dates) and both have all the files except the main ladder file. The more logical conclusion is that Im using the wrong software to try and open these.

the Ai software generates all those files every thing but the .LAD file is stored on the PC
There is a list out there someplace that explains what the file extensions mean
different date means that the program was modified at some point
there should be an .LAD file there but some how it got lost
on the very first PLC2 programs the back was to a tape deck and only the .LAD file was backed up to the tape.
the AI software should have a Restore option in the menu try that
Remember the AI software was originally for DOS system windows was never considered at that time.
it looks like you are communication so you jus need to sort out the files