AB PLC2 Programming

I have not found one but am searching. Right now its probably eBay or bust on the 422 to 232 converter.

Then its finding a license for some of the old AB software, or a free/cheap alternative.

Through searching it looks like the now defunct AustGlobal had free demo software for the PLC2 for offline mode.

Since this was originally free, and AustGlobal no longer exists, can someone post a copy of this demo software if they have it?

Hen you questioned the available of the RS232 to RS422 converter
I thought I better check
I got my original from B&B Electronics
It is an 8 channel full converter I remember they had a 6 channel available for a long time and I know it would work I just assumed they would be available. They were obsolete a while back
The only thing they have now is 2 channel Data transmit and Data received
The PLC2 requires both Data set ready and Clear to send to work
I know it they must be controlled it will not work if any of them are jumpered I tried it once.
I guess the value of the 2 I have just went up I should have got the 3rd when I could
It looks like they based the port on old teletype com port RS232 25Pin where they used all the handshaking
From what I can see B&B no longer has anything that will work

If I remember correctly there is back door to the programming port
They had a module the connected through the 15 pin programming port and connected the PLC to the Data Highway (again I must make it clear Data Highway is not the same as the later Data Highway Plus )
Then they had a Data Highway to RS232 serial that you could use to Upload, Download and Online
It dos work I have used it a few times If you can still find the parts. I may have the parts, I will have to look when I get over to my storage.
By the way I used the same converter different cable, to connect to old SLC 100 / 150
The SLC 100’s use a 9 pin round connector

The attached file is the pin outs for PLC2 Programming port and Converter
If you can find something that will work good luck let us know where to find the converter

Gary that is very interesting. I have a SLC-150 with a 1745-PCC Programmer and 1745-C1 cable. From your last post it seems like the 1745-PCC converts the RS-422 to RS-232 just like B&B Converter?

If that is the case then in theory I just need to figure out the 1745-PCC pinout and make a modified cable to connect it to the PLC2 programming port.

Since you went the otherway, using the smart cable to a SLC 150, do you have the Pinout for the SLC100/150 cable 1745-C1?

I have used, don't have it still to give the part number, a B&B 232-422 adapter.

I distinctly remember to get 8 channel it was a "Reverse 422 - 232 Adapter" with DB25 ports, I had to make a DB9-DB25 adapter cable for the PC side and a DB25 to 25 adapter cable for the PLC side to get the pin connections needed.

You had me wondering about the difference between the 2
So I opened up my cable to check it out I made up my cables about 30 years ago been using then since.
To answer your question you cannot use the SLC 100 programming cable to program the PLC2’s
While both are RS422 the PLC2 requires 4 channels RD, TD, RTS, CTS the SCL only requires
2 channels TD, RD
On RS422 each cannel is 2 wires +, -
The SCL port supplied 12VDC power to the converter with the PLC2 the converter must have an external power supply
The converters I have are B&B 8 channels and I understand they have been obsolete for a number of years there was a replacement available that would work up until recently, 422CEC
I just checked it is no longer available
So you are right the programming cable is the problem now.

There is a backdoor to program the PLC2’s Over the Data Highway
PLC2 - Data Highway module - Data Highway to RS232 module I have used this a few times where it was available.
A note here Data Highway and Data Highway Plus are not the same thing and should not be confused

Well that is a shame, thought we had something there for a second. Thank you very the suggestions, and Gary if you are still offering to share an example PLC2 program I would love to see it.