.MER vs .APA file in FactoryTalk View

MattMatt9

So I was asked to save backup files for our FactoryTalk View SE HMIs onto a USB.

Few questions:
1. What is the difference between MER and APA?
2. Should I backup both?
3. Are these files already automatically saved under a specific folder or do I have to force an archive?

Thanks.

MER is the Machine Edition Runtime. This is a compiled version of the application that is running in your PV terminal. This file type cannot be edited.

APA is the APlication Archive. This is essentially a zipped version of the development version of your application. This file also cannot be edited.

There is a third file type that doesn't really get mentioned, but it is the most important. The MED is the Machine Edition Development file. This is what you open and work on in FactoryTalk View Studio. You can only edit the MED file.

When I do my development (MED) and want to send it to the PanelView, I create the runtime (MER) file and load it into the PV. There is also a tool to convert the MER back to a development (MED). This was not always the case in earler versions. And today, developers have the option to not allow this. That way I can't connect to your PV and "steal" your application. Very important to small companies or a 1 person shop.

If I am doing development and want to send you a copy of the whole project to review, I would create the application backup (APA) and send that to you. You can then "restore" that file and you will have the same project. But I could also send you the MER.

MED ==> MER = Create Runtime
MER ==> MED = Restore Runtime
MED ==> APA = Backup
APA ==> MED = Restore

2. Should I backup both?
From a developers point of view I would make a point to backup the MED (APA). But from a user's point of view, I would backup the MER.

If a user has a backup to the MER they could potentially reload it into a PV without needing any software. In the past, the restrictions on the MER meant that backing it up didn't get you much. Today though, with the ability to restore the MER file into a development copy (MED) means that it is a good item to backup and makes the APA a bit less important.

3. Are these files already automatically saved under a specific folder or do I have to force an archive?
The MER and APA files can be located wherever you wish on your PC. They don't have to go to any specific location. The MED on the other hand must be located in a specific folder and they do not give you any option to put it anywhere else (don't bother backing up the MED). There is no automatic backup that takes place. Manual only.

OG

Lots of good information thank you. But how can I go about saving MER and APA files? Like how do I actually create these files?

The APA is generated from the Application Manager dumpster fire disguised as a program. Backup Application option. I don't use SE, but in ME, you compile the runtime within FactoryTalk View Studio. Application drop down, Create Runtime Application. Maybe SE is the same?

SE does not have a Runtime equivalent......

If you perform the backup as dmroeder mentions above, that will get you the APA file.

The program used to be called "Application Manager". I think the newer versions call it the "Machine Edition Application Manager". Or something like that. You can run it standalone, or you can open FT View Studio, and from the Tools menu you can run the Application Manager.

You can also use the FT View Studio software to Create Runtime. Then save it wherever you wish. But if you have the APA, you probably don't need to bother with the MER.

RA has a video on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r_LOD4FJbY

OG

Ok...my apologies........I saw you mention APA and MER and assumed Machine Edition. You said FT View SE though.

SE does not use Runtime files. There are no MER files with SE.

The backup you did, is the one SE uses. That uses the APB format. They USED to use an APA format, but they moved away from it to the newer APB format.

That is the only backup you need.

OG

Just a quick addendum to the APA/APB formats; APB is for a network station application, whereas APA is still used for local station applications. I just learned this as all my HMIs are local so I've never seen an APB file before (totally not confusing to remember all of them...).

MER is the Machine Edition Runtime. This is a compiled version of the application that is running in your PV terminal. This file type cannot be edited.

APA is the APlication Archive. This is essentially a zipped version of the development version of your application. This file also cannot be edited.

There is a third file type that doesn't really get mentioned, but it is the most important. The MED is the Machine Edition Development file. This is what you open and work on in FactoryTalk View Studio. You can only edit the MED file.

When I do my development (MED) and want to send it to the PanelView, I create the runtime (MER) file and load it into the PV. There is also a tool to convert the MER back to a development (MED). This was not always the case in earler versions. And today, developers have the option to not allow this. That way I can't connect to your PV and "steal" your application. Very important to small companies or a 1 person shop.

If I am doing development and want to send you a copy of the whole project to review, I would create the application backup (APA) and send that to you. You can then "restore" that file and you will have the same project. But I could also send you the MER.

MED ==> MER = Create Runtime
MER ==> MED = Restore Runtime
MED ==> APA = Backup
APA ==> MED = Restore

2. Should I backup both?
From a developers point of view I would make a point to backup the MED (APA). But from a user's point of view, I would backup the MER.

If a user has a backup to the MER they could potentially reload it into a PV without needing any software. In the past, the restrictions on the MER meant that backing it up didn't get you much. Today though, with the ability to restore the MER file into a development copy (MED) means that it is a good item to backup and makes the APA a bit less important.

The MER and APA files can be located wherever you wish on your PC. They don't have to go to any specific location. The MED on the other hand must be located in a specific folder and they do not give you any option to put it anywhere else (don't bother backing up the MED). There is no automatic backup that takes place. Manual only.

OG
This is one of, if not the best reply to a question I have ever seen on these type of forums. I admire your teaching and writing abilities Operaphost and not only looking forward to see more of your post, but I'm going to try and find all your post and study them closely. Bravo!