MER file convertion to APA file type

jtashaffer

I have two older hmi programs that are done in version 5 or older. I just have the runtime file how do I get the application file? I have talked to tech support, checked this forum etc. is there away???

MER to MED, not APA!

The development file is an MED file (Machine Edition Development). During development, you have an MED file and "other" separate files, such as for Alarms, etc. It is this MED file, and "other" application files, that are compiled into an MER file (Machine Edition Runtime) to load and run on the terminal.

The APA file is an Application Archive.

If you want to pack up the MED, and "other" files, into one file for storage or to send to someone, you can archive it as an APA file. You can then restore the APA file back to MED file and "other" files.

If you have a v5.0 or newer MER file, that was set to allow conversion, then it will be converted back to an MED, and "other" files.

i.e. You do not convert an MER file to an APA file.

So,

You want to convert a pre v5.0 MER file to an MED file, etc.

While it's not possible to convert the pre v5.0 MER files automatically, there are methods to extract some of the data manually...

8913 - Recovering a Project from the MER File
Access Level: TechConnect

Edit: I knew I had covered this somewhere before...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=90205

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Thanks for the info I will try it tomorrow and she what I can come up with. I need to check the versions for sure. How do you check what version it was wrote in on the PVP?

Good Job Geospark. You beat me to the punch. Ken had shown me this over new years holidays when i had a problem with an v4 app that someone else didnt leave a backup of on a customers site.
It worked like a charm, as i had a previous backup and all i did was import the one new screen in. Ironically i havent been out that way in a couple months and I will be there Monday

You can also open the MER with 7-zip (free) and browse the files inside it.
It's the GFX files that are easiest to recover.

Saves you the hassle of running ME Station on the computer, finding the temp directory, and then copy the files out.

The MER file uses the Compound File format
http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/OLE_Compound_File
You could use any other software that opens those files, but I like 7-zip.