apa file to mer

davidl

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a file in an apa format but need it in a mer format to down load to a panel view 600. how do I convert this file?

You need to have the RSView Machine addition, also I believe that copying the APA file will probably not load into ME, you have to use the utility to register it in the ME file system, Rockwell have really been naughty, firstly it appears that ME is an upgrade of the old RSView32 Scada, costs a great deal of money, you have to register or unpack the compacted code to view it in ME, however later versions were able to open & convert the MER file back to source code, I'm surprised you do not have the MER file as this can be copied from the panelview to SD card and restored if you need to replace the PV.

The .apa file of a FTVS project is the "archived" form of the application; it is used to transfer the project between development PCs.
In order to "compile" the project into an HMI deployable Runtime (.mer) application you will need the RA FactoryTalk View Studio for Machine Edition (FTVSME) software application.
The FTVSME Application Manager utility will first "Restore" the .apa into the development application then within the FTVSME opened project the user will be able "Create the Runtime Application" at the firmware level of the HMI terminal.
The .mer could be directly downloaded to the networked terminal or transferred via USB media.

I have registered copies of rs view me and studio. I have the original copied of the program from the manufacturer in apa. form. I have a panel view with a cracked screen I am trying to replace. every thing I have done is with panel view 32 and rs logic 500. so this is new. this is why I am asking.

dmargineau said:
...The FTVSME Application Manager utility will first "Restore" the .apa into the development application then within the FTVSME opened project the user will be able "Create the Runtime Application" at the firmware level of the HMI terminal.
The .mer could be directly downloaded to the networked terminal or transferred via USB media.

Have you looked for the Application Manager in View Studio as advised above?

Open FactoryTalk View Studio and go to "Tools". There you'll find a shortcut to the Application Manager. Use the "Restore application" option and browse to your APA archive file.

Once it's restored, you can now open it in View Studio - "File/Open Application"

If you just need to compile it into a runtime MER file to load to your PanelView terminal, then go to "Application/Create Runtime Application" and select the firmware version you require for your PV600 terminal. If it's a new terminal it might be at v5.10, but you may have to check the terminal menus to be sure.

I always move MER files to terminals using a USB flash drive, and not via the cabled transfer utility. If using USB, create a folder structure at the root: "Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime" and copy your MER runtime file there. On the terminal use the "File Management" menu to copy your application from external storage to internal storage and then load and run it.

Regards,
George

Does the old terminal have a USB port and carries the same firmware as the replacement one?
If it does, the easiest way will be to Copy/Paste the terminal running .mer onto a USB thumb drive and then Copy/Paste it from the USB drive onto the replacement terminal using the File Menu of the terminal's firmware.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711p-um001_-en-p.pdf

at page 79 it is explained how to Copy the .mer application to/from the USB media
at page 65 you will find out how to Load the .mer and then how to Run it.

Last edited:
dmargineau,

That's a PanelView Plus PDF. I/we are a little off the mark I think?

I misread it as being a PanelView Plus 600, not a PanelView Standard 600. It will only have a memory card slot for a Flash card to manually transfer the application.

This also throws up the question as to which software was used to develop the application and at which version? i.e. RSView Studio, or FactoryTalk View Studio?

If the developer used a newer version than the OP currently has then they may not be able to Restore the APA file?

EDIT: Double mix-up? Has the OP omitted the Plus and it is as I/we thought?

I think we need to see the catalog number for the terminal...

2711-, or 2711P-

G.

Last edited:
George,
He stated he has an .apa file and he wants to compile it into a .mer...
These file extension names scream 2711P/FTVS...:D

The PanelBuilder32 software used to develop 2711 terminals applications
use .PBA for development files and .PVA for the "terminal"(Runtime) ones.
There are no Archive PB32 files.

Yes, total confusion! šŸ™ƒ

When you mentioned the old terminal something twigged and I went back and read "panel view 600" and without thinking, started thinking!

PanelView Plus 600 it is and must be!

Thank God I have tomorrow off and am taking the good wife away for a relaxing weekend.

Much needed!šŸ»

G.