HMI Siemens TP170A Damaged Touch screen - program backup

misamark

Hi guys,
I have Siemens TP170A with touch non-operative. I have replacement but Touch Screen do not work (cannot set Transfer Mode to make a backup).
Is there any "Magic" to bypass RUN mode and still do backup?
I tried to repair it, I have replaced Touch screen, but still does not work...
Any trick?
Thanks!!

It does not have USB port ? If it does, you can attach an USB mouse and operate it that way.

Otherwise, try to initiate a Prosave backup just when the panel is booting up.
There is a short time after power up where the startup menu appears, and before the runtime starts. You have to hit the "start backup" button in Prosave at just the right moment.
Not sure if that works, because it requires that the panel is already setup to allow automatic mode change. It is worth a try.

I tried.....

My only hope that I did not use proper cable.
Can you please send me pinout for rs232 cable to use?
I used null modem cable; does it need to be cross-over or straight?
Thanks!

TP170A only has an RS422/RS485 interface called IF1B. It does not work with RS232.
There are DIP switches on the rear of the panel for selecting either RS422/RS485 or DP/MPI mode.
If set to DP/MPI you need to connect with an MPI or DP capable interface, such as a Siemens PC Adapter.

Ah !
You are absolutely right. Good that you caught that. If not I would have totally confused misamark with my nonsense.

Well, since he says he was using a null-modem cable which is the correct cable, it seems that he is out of luck.

I had a similar problem on one of these a while ago, I did manage to transfer the program to another HMI, but I decided to try & find what touch screen it was. After dismantling the screen (note the touch screen is held on with double sided tape), I found the manufacturer but they told me they have been discontinued and do not sell direct, however, he gave me the numbers of a couple of distributors in the UK. One had three in stock at Wait for it.... £50.00 each I quickly raised an order for all three considering the HMI is in thousands what a bargain. Fitted the touch screen, calibrated it & hey presto one working screen & a couple of spare units just in case, please do not request the company details, I have now retired and cannot remember any contact details but I thought it was worth a mention, however the chances of any obsolete units being available are pretty small but you never know.