Compact Logix Firmware Upgrade

dhuber

I was upgrading the firmware on a L23E PLC, i set the IP address through Bootp and then started the firmware update, forgetting to disable bootp and when the first power cycle happened the ip address was reset.
Does this render that unit useless? I can still communicate over serial, so is it just the ethernet port that is no good now?

Thanks.

It's a common mistake but I'm not totally sure of the consequences. It might be that not enough of the boot code was replaced to allow the controller to go back into flash update mode.

I would use the serial port to bridge through to the Ethernet daughtercard and set it up for static IP, then try the ControlFlash procedure again.

If you can't get ControlFlash to run via Ethernet, try it via serial (but disable any sleep/powersave features on your PC) and have a nice long coffee break.

I am reupdating the firmware via serial right now, so hopefully there wont be any problems with it after that.
I was just curious if it did cause any problems even if you did update it through the serial connection.

We have crashed L32E's during the update of the Ethernet port. We have found that if we pulled the battery for a few minutes, we were able to successfully recover it by flashing it again. We flash ours using the compact flash port (we have programs stored to the card and told to update on power up). Since you probably won't have the firmware on a card you would probably have to do it over serial (painfully slow).

I have done this too. I was able to simply start my BootP server again insert the address and the update completed.

If you restart the firmware download again (it likely timed out on you) it will update the remaining two files.

You should be ok, serial should work fine too. It is just VERY slow.

Good Luck.

RSL

I did the same thing. I was able to remove the battery to wipe it and get back in, and the 2nd time I remembered to turn off Bootp. However, in my particular case, something was still wrong, as the PLC would fault and erase its program every few hours afterward. This was still under development on my desk so I fussed with it for a couple of days before I gave up and sent it to my distributor for a new one. Once it ran for about 6 hours and then faulted, but usually it would only run an hour or two.

I only mention this just in case the same thing happens to the OP. My situation very well could have been a defect totally unrelated to my firmware updates, but I never knew for sure.

I recommend using a desktop (or power saver options set to never idle anything) and ethernet (faster = less time for natural disaster) using an isolated network with only your PC, the PLC, known good cables and a good switch, all plugged into a UPS.

If you do it serially it will take a lot longer, so you must make sure your PC stays "alive" during the whole time. I have seen bricks made because a laptop decided to idle a port that it thought was inactive in the middle of an update, so be extra very careful with power options if using a laptop.

Last edited: