Proworkx Timer Question (Simple Question)

Galaniz

I am currently working on replacing a Modicon Quantum with an AB Compact Logix. I have never worked with proworx and I have no hardware available to play with and answer the following the question.

After reading the manual this is my understanding of how the time operates:

Top on, bottom on - timer accumulates

Top input on, Bottom off - Timer reset and not running

Top off, bottom on - accumulation is maintained, but not running,

both off - reset and not running.

Can someone tell me if this is accurate. I am wondering if the top input has a one shot function since the manual states off to on initiates timer. Does the top input have to be maintained on?

Thanks,
Gabriel

You are correct concerning your understanding of the timer:
1. Top on, bottom on - timer accumulates
2. Top input on, Bottom off - Timer reset and not running
3. Top off, bottom on - accumulation is maintained, but not running
4. both off - reset and not running.

The top input must be maintained in order for the timer to run-it does not use a 'one shot' function per your question.

Good Luck!

THere is one thing you need to watch out for with Modicon timers.

The lower timer output (accumulator<preset) will be true and will "pass power down the rung" even if all the preceding logic to the timer is false. This has the effect of a rung appearing to magically become "live" right in the middle of a network when everything to the left is off. That led to a necessity for some creative programming when the programmer needed a TIMER NOT DONE condition, such as duplicating input conditions on the output side of the timer. Its likely you might see some of that so hopefully this will be helpful to understand what is going on.

Edit to add:
There are some other pitfalls to watch out for - for example one shots work differently and could trip you up. Comparisons work differently and some of the math, especially EMTH instructions. You need to pay attention to the network scan order (Modicon solves by columns) and also the true solve column for coils is not always the right most column. If the Modicon program is divided into multiple segments then you need to determine if the segments are scanned sequentially or if one segment is scanned more than once per program scan. Be aware that IO updates may be configured to happen after a segment and not just after a full program scan. Input and Output addresses may or may not be in a sequential order that matches the actual card location in the chassis, so check the traffic cop to verify the configuration. You're not the first to attempt this and we've helped others through the conversion so search the forum for keyword Modicon and you'll find some of those threads.

Last edited:
Not trying to hijack this thread but I posted a proworx question the other day and got no response.

Can someone please tell me how addressing works on DROP1 of a quantum connected to the primary through modbus plus. I tried to look at the module on traffic cop and I'm having a hard time figuring out the addressing of this thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Main PLC

1001 Discretes in start
0001 Discrete outs
3001 Analogs
4001 holding regs

But what about the secondary plc DROP1? I tried to read through the literature, programming guide, still can't find anything.

Any help appreciated

Not trying to hijack this thread but I posted a proworx question the other day and got no response.

Can someone please tell me how addressing works on DROP1 of a quantum connected to the primary through modbus plus. I tried to look at the module on traffic cop and I'm having a hard time figuring out the addressing of this thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Main PLC

1001 Discretes in start
0001 Discrete outs
3001 Analogs
4001 holding regs

But what about the secondary plc DROP1? I tried to read through the literature, programming guide, still can't find anything.

Any help appreciated

Hello Rob,

I reviewed your previous post concerning the 984-265 and MB+. It's been awhile since I've setup MB+ networks but I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my memory (and perhaps other members can lend some insight as well).

My understanding is that you have a 984-265 which is referred to as the Main PLC. This Main PLC is connected via MB+ to a Quantum PLC (?) which to referred to as the Secondard PLC.

Regardless of Main/Secondary racks, the I/O addressing will be:
1XXXX - Discreet inputs
0XXXX - Discreet output and internal coils (internal coils begin after the traffic copped discreet outputs)
3XXXX - Register inputs
4XXXX - Register outputs

(What do the electrical hardware prints indicate or are they unavailable?)

Concerning your previous post about question mark appearing in the traffic cop, I don't have an answer for you although seems to indicate ProWorx cannot properly identify the hardware module. While uploading the programs via TCP/IP should not be a problem, is it possible to upload the programs via a Modbus cable (connected directly to each processor?)

Also, what version of ProWorx do you have and what PC platform are you running (XP, 7?)

Are you able to post the .pwx files that you uploaded whereas they can be reviewed?

Thank you!

Chip,

Thank you thank you thank you.

I have attached the proworks 32 project file. I'm running version 2.1 service pack 2. Its on windows 7 but I have tried it in XP compatibility mode and didn't notice any changes.

If you open the project you will be able to see drop 1 PLC (secondary) in the traffic cop.

You cleared up the variables for me but still don't quite understand the secondary. Are you saying there could be a program in the secondary and its not just running as the slave?

If it is a slave then how does the addressing in this one work? If it is not a slave can I access the program off the secondary through the first plc? Or I just have to hook modbus to the secondary and check it out.

It sounds like from what your saying its not a slave. But then why would the two be tied together through M+? How can I tell what data they are exchanging.

I was assuming the whole program was in the primary and the secondary was just there for additional I/O at another location. It does however have the same exact CPU in the secondary the 984 just without the Ethernet card the primary has.

Any more advice?

Thanks again

The posted ProWorx file has a 984-E265 PLC. Is this what you are referring to as 'Secondary' or 'Main'?

This 984-E265 PLC is using Peer Cop to exchange global and specific data to other PLC's on the MB+ network. Don't think of this configuration as 'master and slave'. Each PLC on this network has it's own program and sharing data with the other networked PLC's.

Via a MB+ PC adapter card (SA85, I believe) you can attach to all MB+ devices on the network. If you don't have the MB+ adapter card you will need to attach directly to each PLC via the Modbus port to upload the program.

Concerning data exchange, click on Configuration Extensions in ProWorx and you will see how the global and specific 'links' are configured. Peer Cop provides automatic data exchange without any special programming (don't have to use MSTR blocks for communications).

I hopes this answers your questions.

Good Luck!