Iec 61131-3 ?? What is it?

Timeismoney08

Hello and happy new year!

I would like to further understand who needs to design by this standard and is it a requirement for everyone or only those who list it as there design standards to a customer?

Secondly, is Rockwell considered 61131-3 compliant? Also, is there any manufactures that are not compliant?

Thank you for the help!

1)Most PLC manufacturers are "compliant" in that they have, somewhere, a document that says which PLC languages support which features in the IEC spec. You comply with the spec basically by listing where you deviate. As the Pirates say, "it's more a guideline than a rule".

There are very few systems that 100% conform to IEC. It is generally not feasible to directly copy code from one platform to another, although you are more likely to be successful with structured text.

2) A big part of the reason for this is that many manufacturers have implemented new functions not called for in the IEC spec. Some also implement features in different ways.

3) Big picture, the IEC standard plays almost no role in the day to day work of a controls engineer or PLC programmer.