Powerflex 525 Control Voltage

collinsd70

Hi All.

I am trying to commission a Powerflex 525 Drive but currently only have access to +24VDC, I simply want to assign Ethernet/IP Address, get comms working, firmware updates etc etc.

Looking through the documentation- It would appear that the control voltage is generated internally through the 3-phase (ie I cannot power the control circuit seperatley).

Can anyone confirm this?, I have looked through the manual and control wiring schematic and there does not appear to require any power input at the control circuit?

Regards

Daniel

Hi All.

I am trying to commission a Powerflex 525 Drive but currently only have access to +24VDC, I simply want to assign Ethernet/IP Address, get comms working, firmware updates etc etc.

Looking through the documentation- It would appear that the control voltage is generated internally through the 3-phase (ie I cannot power the control circuit seperatley).

Can anyone confirm this?, I have looked through the manual and control wiring schematic and there does not appear to require any power input at the control circuit?

Regards

Daniel

I work with PF525 drives all the time and don't know of a way to power them without the 3Phase power. Typically, I'd wait until we have that in place before setting the IP, flashing firmware, etc.

Hey, actually just found this in the manual. Use a USB connection; AKA drop a 24VDC to 5VDC PS & hook up 5VDC to the module:

Reference: https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/520-um001_-en-e.pdf

Page 67

MainsFree Programming
The MainsFree™ programming feature allows you to quickly configure your
PowerFlex 520-series drive without having to power up the control module or
install additional software. Simply connect the control module to your PC with a
USB Type B cable and you can download a parameter configuration to your
drive. You can also easily upgrade your drive with the latest firmware.

You do not need 3 phase, it doesn't react to a phase loss if there is no load on it. So you can just get any small CPT and back feed it to get to the line voltage of the VFD, i.e. 240 or 380 or 480V and apply it to any two line terminals.

So you can't completely set up the 525 using a USB cable and then test Ethernet comms to your PC without some power being applied to the line side of the drive?

Just asking for my own knowledge because this may be coming up in my near future.

Thanks,
Bob O.

You can set up the drive but only works as a USB device. The ethernet won't work unless powered up by line voltage. You can even flash them but the flash isn't completed until powered up.

The USB port is on the BACK side of the control module, so you must remove the control module to get access to it. That PREVENTS you from connecting the USB to a powered drive.

The USB port is strictly for uploading or downloading the drive programming, or flashing the firmware. Nothing else.

The USB port is on the BACK side of the control module, so you must remove the control module to get access to it. That PREVENTS you from connecting the USB to a powered drive.

The USB port is strictly for uploading or downloading the drive programming, or flashing the firmware. Nothing else.

couldnt you just remove the control module, plug in a USB type B and set the drive parameters that way using the onboard .exe file (forgot the name that shows up). by first downloading the pf5 file, opening that in CCW, modifying parameters, then uploading the pf5 file back to the drive? i feel like i have done that or something similar to that workflow in the past.

couldnt you just remove the control module, plug in a USB type B and set the drive parameters that way using the onboard .exe file (forgot the name that shows up). by first downloading the pf5 file, opening that in CCW, modifying parameters, then uploading the pf5 file back to the drive? i feel like i have done that or something similar to that workflow in the past.
Yes, that's exactly how it is intended to be used. I'm just pointing out that you can't do any on-line connection to the USB port if the drive is installed.

You should be able to power up off of 120 on the L1-L2 inputs. That’s how I would validate faceplate development on my desk back when I actually got to do the fun stuff. I can’t recall if it was only the 208 drives or the 480 also. I ran both. Keep in mind you will get a phase loss alarm and bus undervoltage alarm but both those can be bypassed/avoided for comms setup situations. There’s a tech note on the knowledgebase but I’ve lost track of it by now.

Thanks for all your comments.

jraef is exactly right- the USB on the control module allows for downloading/ uploading of the Drive Parameters. But that is it..

I also agree that- how is the drive supposed to react to a phase loss if its intended to be powered by the line voltage???

Unfortunately I worked on a PowerFlex 500 a few years back- and this also seemed to require 3 phase input.

Any other ideas?