FTView SE Datalog help

DwSoFt

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All.

I Have a client that has a nice ftview SE Distributed running for a plant. it datalogs and saves the old files for a couple hundred tags every 10 seconds.

thye have asked me to give a daily average for 2018 on 3 tags, and i am unsure how to get all this done easily from 365 files, when each file takes a while in file viewer to open and converting it leaves over 1.5gb csv file.

Am i missing something or really up schit creek?

FYI this is a yearly thing, and i started datalogging everything on Ignition which is their scada system, so next year will be alot nicer.

I would create a program in VB.net or something similar to read each of the files, place them in a database and then produce the reports that you require.
Just a thought.
Regards,

I would create a program in VB.net or something similar to read each of the files, place them in a database and then produce the reports that you require.
Just a thought.
Regards,

Sounds like an Idea. DO you have an example of this?

Sounds like an Idea. DO you have an example of this?

I could put something together in C# that would read the file, extract the data and save/append it to a CSV file. You could open the CSV in Excel or import it into a DB like SQLite. I'd need a few days though, plus a copy of one of the files.

I did a quick and dirty perl script w/ exactely 0 error handling to convert those files enmasse to .csv
You need the datalog conversion .exe for this.

Code:
# Batch convert FactoryTalk Datalog files to csv and then concat them.
# Version 1.0.0

#takes 2 arguments - source directory and destination directory
$dir = $ARGV[0];
$dest = $ARGV[1];

$dir = 'new' if ! $dir;

chdir $dir;
opendir DH, $dir;

while ($fn = readdir DH)
{
        next unless ($fn =~ m/.+[Ff][Ll][Oo][Aa][Tt]\)\.[Dd][Aa][Tt]$/);
	next unless (-f "$dir/$fn");

print "$fn\n";
	system("$dir\\FTViewFileViewer.exe", "/sd", "$fn", "$fn.csv", "/table");
	#print is just for testing, comment out in production
}
#system("copy", "$dir\\*.csv", "$dir\\result.csv");
closedir DH;

You'd need to wrap whatever else around this you needed, but should be able to batch the .csv files into a database or excel or whatever.