Anyone have experience about Modicon M580?

Iner

As the Modicon Premium are gradually being pushed away, the most common replacement is the M340. It is a good product, but it has areas where it is lacking.

We are examining the possibility of using M580 where the premium were used and where the M340 will not be enough.

I wanted to ask here, how people were rating this product (communications modules, functions, custommer reactions....) ???

I don't think the M580 IO modules are any more performant the M340. The difference is the remote IO system uses CIP or Ethernet/IP instead of modbus distributed IO scanning, and the option to use the x80 (i think?) protocol on the backplane for local IO modules.

If I were doing a remote-IO heavy application I would consider M580 over M340. As it stands the cost is essentially a wash so I am happy to put an M340 CPU in every control panel, with local extended backplanes if necessary, and have all the M340 CPUs talk to eachother as required in a not particularly time sensitive manner with IO scanning.

I think the M580 CPU might also be faster, but my M340 projects are all about 22 ms scan time with a 10MB .stu file, which is also adequate for my application.

We were quite happy to go from a monolithic design with 1 quantum CPU and advantys distributed IO to plants with 1-6 M340 CPUs.

We did one project with M340 remote IO and a quantum CPU because the customer wanted 120VDC discrete IOs for which the modules were only available for Quantum.

What areas do you find the M340 lacking?

What areas do you find the M340 lacking?

I have an application where I have several printers printing labels with data and barcodes on it. They can take commands with ASCII strings over Ethernet.

But it's impossible to do it with M340. You are stuck with Modbus TCP/IP and these printers don't take Modbus.

You could do it with Premium PLC, they have an "Open TCP" library. I got a Schneider guy on phone who claimed the M580 could do it like the Premium so the M580 could replace the M340, without needing to put one RS232 card by printer for serial communication.