SQL Schema for Wonderware System Platform

scrambled

Hi all,

I've been thrown into my first Wonderware project and am wondering where I can find schema documentation on the Galaxy Repository SQL database in Wonderware. I've figured out how to run SQL queries on a Galaxy, but haven't been able to find any detailed SQL reference.

Thanks for the links. I've checked them all out but I'm not sure if it's what I'm looking for exactly, since I believe a WW Historian database is different from a Galaxy database. As this is the first time I've touched anything WW-related, forgive me if I mix up my terminology.

I've been learning my way around ArchestrA IDE and figuring out how to efficiently navigate through a Galaxy Repository database. For example, one of the things I needed to figure out was how to quickly see what Galaxy objects were checked out, which I could not do easily within the IDE UI. I found this document (also from Logic Control) which taught me the SQL query for checked out objects: https://www.logic-control.com/techarticles/A Few Useful SQL Queries for System Platform.pdf. Running the query verbatim gets me what I want. However, I don't have any understanding of the columns used in the query, since I have no knowledge of the underlying schema. I looked through the WW Historian reference but it doesn't seem to match the example SQL queries in my link.

I come from a ClearSCADA background, so I'm more comfortable navigating around a SCADA database using SQL query tools than using the actual GUI. I want to try and do the same thing with System Platform, but I'm lacking an actual reference on the Galaxy namespace. So I'm hopeful that someone here can point me in the right direction.

Hi scrambled,

Unfortunately, the Galaxy Repository wasn't intended to be accessed that way. As long as you're just viewing the SQL query data you should be okay, but I caution against changing anything as you may corrupt the database if other users are actively making changes to objects or Galaxy configuration.

Since it wasn't intended, there is no schema available for the Galaxy Repository at this time. And Historian is an entirely different database, so that guide wouldn't be useful. The UI has graphical indicators on the object tree to signify if it is checked out or not. Though I understand your preference with regards to the raw database.

I would recommend reaching out to Wonderware Australia: http://www.wonderware.com.au. They will have staff locally that can help answer questions or direct you to training materials/classes for System Platform.

Regards,

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your informative reply and it's good to get some presence here from major vendors. My intent would be just to read the Galaxy data and not modify anything. The Galaxy Repository I'm working with is very large and so I find it more efficient to navigate via queries than the UI. However, I do understand that it's not an officially supported method of working with System Platform for the reasons you mentioned and so there is no publicly available documentation.

The UI has graphical indicators on the object tree to signify if it is checked out or not.

Regarding this point you made, I do know about graphical indicators on the UI. My main issue I'm finding at the moment is that parent objects do not seem to inherit these graphical indicators. For example, if I have everything collapsed in the Galaxy object tree and there is a child object 4 levels down that has been checked out, I get no indication on the top level objects. That means I have to expand the relevant parent objects down to the checked out child object in order to see that it has been checked out. Hence, why I turned to using queries for efficiency.

Anyway, that's not really relevant to my original topic (which you've answered) and it's really just me having a whinge.

Last edited: