Siemens HMI Motherboards

rolakyng

Has anybody tried to change the motherboard on a Siemens HMI? I've an MP 377 19" Simatic Panel and want to use a better board and get rid of WinCE, this way I'll be able to achieve more performance from the HMI. I've the back of the Panel opened right now and was wondering which one was the video/touchscreen cable.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks,
Rola

I already have it installed and want to upgrade the panel. and I'm using wincc runtime and panel pc instead of IPC. Basically trying to get away from Siemens.

Its a custom panel
So what will you run on the PC?
(an IPC is an industrial personal computer)

How is the MP377 talking to the PLC and what PLC?

Whats your problem with the panel?

Last edited:
You are aware that MP377 uses an ARM CPU, not a member of the Intel family ?
I guess it could be done by a really gifted electronic wizard.
Since iphones, playstations, etch can get hacked, I guess an MP377 can too.
But there will be precious few who can appreciate your achievement.

So buy a Siemens (maybe 477/577/677) something that has the same or approx dimensions of the MP377 and load WinCC Flex Runtime on it
They all have ethernet ports
Bam- your done
What am I missing here?

Jesper
I think he wants to take out the motherboard

I'd like to change the processor too. I want to do it as I've a lot of data logging, and created active x controls that will work on XP machines so I'd like to create something rugged,industrial and runs XP without having to use the stuff Siemens sells. Each and everything requires license and I think I'd rather spend the time to make something better and not having to pay as much.

i do want to take out the motherboard and install an Intel one which is compatible with MP 377 19".

we already have a bunch of 377 panels and they are just pieces of **** and cannot just throw them away, I want to upgrade them this way so we don't have to waste money on Siemens anymore. I already have the XP software written with active x controls. I just need you to answer if you know about MP 377 Motherboard and if it can be modified.

Archie- I'm listening, what do you mean by installing .net framework? It does not have any good memory on it.

we already have a bunch of 377 panels and they are just pieces of ****

Funny that, we have MP277 touch panels and these are not a piece of ****, there again we use it to display machine status and an operator interface. It has basic data logging which we have not used yet and use Foxit to display PDF's, a limitation of Windows CE. We are not trying to use it as a large scale data logging device with active x control.

Oh hang on, we're using it as the tool it is mean't to be used.

I've often complained that my Mini was not a Rolls Royce, mind you if I stuck a Rolls Royce engine in it would probably look stupid.

Instead of critising a Mini because it is not a Rolls Royce how about buying a Rolls Royce instead of replacing the engine.

Siemens do Industrial PC Panels that run proper Windows, in case you were not aware, Siemens make PC's as well and a fairly big brand in Europe, the industrial stuff is below:

http://www.automation.siemens.com/salesmaterial-as/brochure/en/brochure_simatic_industrial_pc_en.pdf

Then again as you re based in the US you will probably have a hatred against all things Siemens, so there are plenty of alternatives around.

I would go nuts if someone in my division *******ised equipment that could leave us in the **** if something happened to him or the equipment.

Last edited:
Archie- I'm listening, what do you mean by installing .net framework? It does not have any good memory on it.
You can download the .NET compact framework from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=aea55f2f-07b5-4a8c-8a44-b4e1b196d5c0

and install it on the panel. You can then run a .NET applications on the panel. I'm guessing since you mention ActiveX, you are not using .NET for development.

When I did it on the MP277, I was using a PPI interface to communicate to an S7-200. I had written a PPI driver for the communication to the controller, which probably took the most time. When I get a chance to clean up the driver, I will be releasing it as open source with the AdvancedHMI project.