RSLinx

glaverty

A week or two ago we were discussing how RSLinx takes over your com port when you use the 1747-PIC. Well last week I needed my com port back so I deleted the PIC driver in order to use the com port. Unfortunately now when I try to reinstall the driver I am having problems.

I can select the driver from the Driver Configuration Menu and Add it. When I select it only the Delete and Configure Buttons are activated the, Startup, Start and Stop buttons are disabled and the driver is stopped.

If I close RSLinx and reopen it I get the error:

Fatal Error initializing PIC Device Driver!

If I delete the PIC Driver I get the Errors:

Failed to swapout the PIC2K Driver (COM1) ()

followed by

GetLastError()Returned(0)

Has anyone run into this before, got any suggestions?

I have tried unstalling/reinstalling Linx with no luck.

Ah, the continuing saga of the RSLinx PIC driver.

I think that the PIC driver has hosed up Windows' ability to commun icate with the COM1 enumerated serial port. This used to happen sometimes in RSLinx 2.30 in Windows XP when you shut down the PC unexpectedly.

Let's try a little monkeying around in the Windows Hardware Manager (in Control Panel -> System -> Hardware Manager). Delete the enumerated COM1 port, then do a Scan for Hardware Changes to allow Windows to find it again and reinstall it's hardware drivers.

Reboot, then try the PIC driver again. I'm running RSLinx 2.40.01 on an HP 4150B Omnibook now, and though I seldom use the PIC driver it has been OK when I do so.

ARG!

Ken,

I did the exact same thing last night to no avail. Today I try it and it fires right up. What's up with that!

I think you were right about it being "Horsed up" because even though the PIC Driver wasn't loaded COM 1 still wasn't working when I tried to use it for something else this morning.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
5 words for you.

This is a side job.

If I bought the PCMK my gross income for this job would be zero.

I usually work on GE equipment so I have had to beg, borrow and steal everything I am using. Well not so much steal but beg and borrow.

Seems if you do this for a living it would be a wise investment, and save a hell of alot of time.

It seems like you always have trouble with the pic when you REALLY need it. Maybe someone can figure it out one day!

Just a suggestion sir, I did not know if you were aware of the pcmk or not.

Side jobs like this are few and far between for me so I don't think it would be worth the investment.

I took the job for two reasons.

1. The Money of course
2. A crash course in AB since the only experience I had was living vicariously through the posters on this board.

I can deal with the PIC to get jobs like this done. If I was dealing with AB everyday that would be a different story. I gotta say though those download times are aweful.