You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old July 11th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #1
bierdo
Canada

Difference between a 1747 cp3 and a normal rs-232 cable(scnm9ff)

Hi! I have a new laptop and he doesn't have a COM port. I've tried to communicate with a SLC 5\30 using a 1747-UIC and a RS-232 cable, and it doesn't work... I found that it takes a 1747-CP3 cable to communicate between the 1747-UIC and the SLC... Is someone know how to convert a rs-232 cable into a 1747-cp3 cable? I just need the pinout...
Old July 11th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Mickey
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

SLC 5/30? Is this a SLC5/03 or a PLC5/30.
The 1747-CP3 is a null modem cable ( see pic below for pin-out)
To convert a straight thru RS232 cable to a null modem cable you need a null-modem adapter (Radio Shack should have one if needed).
Your 1747-UIC is a USB to DH485 converter. The SLC's port will have to be configured for DH485 protocol for it to work.If you have a SLC5/03 then your 1747-UIC will work with its DH485 port see PDF below for cables. If the SLC's port is configured for DF1 then your going to need a USB to serial adapter.
( the "Keyspan" brand is the best. You can get one at link below.
http://www.plctrainer.net/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1747_UIC_Cables.pdf (142.5 KB, 1514 views)

If you want happiness for an hour-take a nap. If you want happiness for a day-go fishing. If you want happiness for a month-getmarried. If you want happiness for a year-inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime-help someone else.
----- Chinese Proverb

Last edited by Mickey; July 11th, 2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #3
bierdo
Canada

It's a SLC 5/03... I also have a USB to serial (Brand: APC), and if I use this to communicate, which driver will I use in RSLinx?

Last edited by bierdo; July 14th, 2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old July 14th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #4
BillRobinson
Canada

I would simply use the USB to serial then use DF1 driver to connect the SLC. Be warned though, some USB to serial devices have a limited baud rate. I had a radioshack piece of junk that could only to 9600. I now use a Belkin one and it works on high baud rates.
Old July 14th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #5
panic mode
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRobinson
...I had a radioshack piece of junk that could only to 9600....
wow, that is low... never seen usb to rs232 adapeter that couldn't do at least 38.4k, usually 115k or better.
Old January 26th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #6
ahad_iiee
Pakistan

SLC 5/03 PLC (Processor 1747-L532 C/D) Programming Cable

Hi

I need help,
I need pinout (PC RS232 port) to (PLC Ch0 DB9)
Offline file shows Channel configuration as follows

"Ch0 - DF1 Full Duplex" , "Baud 1200, Parity None",
"Ch01 Driver DH485, Baud 19200",

also need RSLinx communication Procedure.

Pls reply me urgent
Old January 26th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Mickey
United States

Post # 2 of this thread shows the pin-out but here they are again. Also see links below for procedure and
for other cables in case you don't have a real serial port and need a USB adapter.

http://www.plctrainer.net/ABComSetUp.pdf

http://www.plctrainer.net/PLCProgrammingCables.htm
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1747-CP3_1756-CP3-PinOut.pdf (31.8 KB, 927 views)

If you want happiness for an hour-take a nap. If you want happiness for a day-go fishing. If you want happiness for a month-getmarried. If you want happiness for a year-inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime-help someone else.
----- Chinese Proverb

Last edited by Mickey; January 26th, 2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old April 28th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #8
rberry1961
United States

The DH 485 cable to use on the 1747-UIC uses a RJ45 connector on each end and is wired straight throug. (i.e. 1-1, 2-2, ... 8-8)
Hope that this helps. It only costs about 2 bucks to make the cable and AB wands $52 for the same thing.
Old April 28th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #9
The Plc Kid
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberry1961 View Post
The DH 485 cable to use on the 1747-UIC uses a RJ45 connector on each end and is wired straight throug. (i.e. 1-1, 2-2, ... 8-8)
Hope that this helps. It only costs about 2 bucks to make the cable and AB wands $52 for the same thing.
Or you can use a pre made ethernet patch cable.
Old July 24th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #10
PLCstarter1884
United States

Question About Serial Cable Pinout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
SLC 5/30? Is this a SLC5/03 or a PLC5/30.
The 1747-CP3 is a null modem cable ( see pic below for pin-out)
To convert a straight thru RS232 cable to a null modem cable you need a null-modem adapter (Radio Shack should have one if needed).
Your 1747-UIC is a USB to DH485 converter. The SLC's port will have to be configured for DH485 protocol for it to work.If you have a SLC5/03 then your 1747-UIC will work with its DH485 port see PDF below for cables. If the SLC's port is configured for DF1 then your going to need a USB to serial adapter.
( the "Keyspan" brand is the best. You can get one at link below.
http://www.plctrainer.net/
I am trying to connect to a SLC 5/03 via a keyspan usb to serial converter and a homemade cable. I noticed there is a difference in this diagram and the diagram from allen bradley for the serial comm cable http://literature.rockwellautomation...n518_-en-p.pdf

Pin 1 on both connectors in this pinout show a connection. In the Allen Bradley pinout there is no connection. Other pinout drawings as well do not show the connection between 1. Is this pinout listed above incorrect?
Old July 24th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #11
Mickey
United States

I'm no expert on the handshaking pins. I think both ways will work.

But if you are making your own cable then all you need is pins 2,3 and 5.

----- Chinese Proverb
Old July 24th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #12
PLCstarter1884
United States

Quote:
I'm no expert on the handshaking pins. I think both ways will work.

But if you are making your own cable then all you need is pins 2,3 and 5.
Thanks Mickey. I actually got the right pinouts on the cable. 1-1 is not supposed to be terminated on both ends of the cable. I'm using all 8 wires on the connector as setup in the pinout.

What bothers me is that I have the same cable and keyspan converter at work, and I can connect to an SLC 5/05 via DF1 RS232 without any problems. I bought the same keyspan converter and serial cable from work, and downloaded the keyspan driver to be assigned for COM port 5 on my desktop. I have a 5/03 processor at home that I'm trying to connect to now and I keep getting this message in RS Linx "Unable to verify settings due to packet timeout! Check all cables and configuration and try again".

I can easily connect to a micrologix 1000 with a different cable and interface converter and different COM port with RSLink and RSLogix 500.

So I'm pretty sure I have it nailed down with the cable and interface converter. I'm guessing there might be something to configure in the keyspan converter software on my desktop (Keyspan Serial Assistant)? I'll check the settings on the laptop at work tomorrow to try to see what I'm doing wrong here. Thanks!
Old July 24th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #13
Mickey
United States

This SLC5/03 , does it have a program in it? If so do you have the offline file to check how the ports are configured? The serial port can be configured for DH485,DF1 and ASCII.
If this is just something to learn with then you might condiser defaulting to factory setting. ( DF1 protocol) See proecedure below.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ClearMemorySLC.pdf (72.3 KB, 315 views)

----- Chinese Proverb
Old July 24th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #14
PLCstarter1884
United States

Quote:
This SLC5/03 , does it have a program in it? If so do you have the offline file to check how the ports are configured? The serial port can be configured for DH485,DF1 and ASCII.
If this is just something to learn with then you might condiser defaulting to factory setting. ( DF1 protocol) See proecedure below.
Thanks for your response. That was actually going to be my next question, thinking it was not configured on channel 0 for DF1 protocol. Yes, it's for learning purposes and I don't really need the program that's in there now, but it would of been kinda cool to see! For now, I'll take your recommendation and clear the memory to see if it helps. I'll post back. Thanks Mickey.
Old July 24th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #15
PLCstarter1884
United States

Hey Mickey, thanks for your help. I cleared out the memory and was able to go online. Thanks again!
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum