You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old August 19th, 2003, 05:14 PM   #1
rosiebean

Red face Allen Bradley PLC ControlNet MSG Question

I am trying to create a specific MSG command on an AB PLC5/40C15. I am basically doing what this knowledgebase article does:

http://domino.automation.rockwell.co...B?OpenDocument

I want to send a MSG command on a ControlNet network to a ControlLogix gateway, and have the ControlLogix Gateway route my message to the destination node. To do this, I am selecting a multihop message (in RSLogix5), and on the multihop screen I input the destination node and destination Link ID. I have a ControlNet sniffer and I can see the packet go out, but the ControlLogix gateway rejects the address.

Is there some setup I must do to send to an RSlogix Address?

Any help would be appreciated, I am tired of banging my head on the keyboard.
Old August 19th, 2003, 11:02 PM   #2
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

What is the destination node; an RSLinx client, a PLC-5C15, or a ControlLogix with 1756-CNB module ?

Usually you route a multihop ControlNet message all the way to the target node; Link ID's are only used with RSLinx clients as the target, or when the last leg of your message is over DH+.

I know you're fishing for information here, but it always helps to give a lot of info. Node numbers for every device involved, descriptions of the devices and their firmware revisions, that sort of stuff.

If you have a ControlNet analyzer you're already probably deeper into this than most Rockwell support engineers get. Tell us more !

Last edited by Ken Roach; August 19th, 2003 at 11:11 PM.
Old August 20th, 2003, 09:10 AM   #3
rosiebean

Smile More Information

Thank you for the response.

This is my setup (I hope the formatting doesn't get messed up):

PLC 5/40C15 Rev f RSLinx on a PC at node 11
(controlnet node 6) |
| |
| |
| |
Link ID 0x2c |
| |
| |
| |
L_________________ |
ControlLogix Gateway |
(backplane link ID 1) |
1756 ENET |
|
1756 CNBR/B________________ |

1756 DHRIO__________________
|
1756 DHRIO |
|
__________________ |
|
Link ID 0x21
|
|
PLC 5/80E
(DH+ node 4)

The MSG I am sending starts from the PLC 5/40C15 and is directed to the PLC 5/80E.

I don't understand the setup of the RSLinx client, do I have to configure this in order for the MSG to get passed through? Where does the RSLinx client run?

I want to use the RSLinx address, because, for the setup I have, there is not problem setting the RSLinx address to 'NO' and inputting the entire routing path, but for my application, I would prefer to have the gateway do the routing, rather than having to store all the routing information in the gateway and at the initiating PLC (this becomes a major headache).

Thanks in advance.
Old August 20th, 2003, 09:20 AM   #4
rosiebean

One More Try

Sorry about the formatting, maybe this will look better:
This is my setup:

*PLC 5/40C15 Rev f
*(controlnet node 6)
|
*RSLinx on a PC at node 11
|
|