You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old January 9th, 2015, 01:02 PM   #1
taylor1982
Germany

Kinetix 6500 questions

Hello,

I have to use Kinetix 6500 servo drives for the first time in a new machine and I have a few questions and I hope you can help me a little bit.

- When I start up the drives (I have two Racks with 5 drives) it lasts about 1 min after they are ready (PRECHARGE appears in display). Is there a information from the data types that the drives are ready and have finished startup? Like a bit in the MOTION_GROUP or AXIS_CIP_DRIVE data types which I can use for switching on the main power contactor to the racks.

- Is there some Sample Code for handling the Kinetix6500 drives? Like for doing an MSO, MSF, MAM, MAJ? I found nothing in the Rockwell sample code library for the 6500 series.

Thank you so much!

Steve
Old January 9th, 2015, 03:22 PM   #2
gbradley
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor1982 View Post

- Is there some Sample Code for handling the Kinetix6500 drives? Like for doing an MSO, MSF, MAM, MAJ? I found nothing in the Rockwell sample code library for the 6500 series...
Have you checked in the RSLogix folder?
C:\RSLogix 5000\Projects\Samples\
Old January 10th, 2015, 03:10 AM   #3
taylor1982
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbradley View Post
Have you checked in the RSLogix folder?
C:\RSLogix 5000\Projects\Samples\
Yes I did. There are Motion examples, but I found noting for the Kinetix6500. And the 6500 AXIS_CIP_DRIVE structure is quite diffrent to the AXIS_SERVO_DRIVE structure.

My problem is to understand what all the information in the AXIS_CIP_DRIVE and MOTION_GROUP mean.
For example:

- Which bits indicate that the Rack is ready to switch on the main power contactor (or do you only use the contactor enable hardware signal?)
- Which bits should I use or should be true before doing an MSO, MAM, MAJ...
- Which information I can use for error detection. Do you use the AxisFault or the AxisStatus DINT or the BOOL variables for detecting that the drive is OK

How do you solve this issues. Does everyone knows a sample about that?

Thanks!
Old January 10th, 2015, 08:42 AM   #4
milldrone
United States

Quote:

- Which bits indicate that the Rack is ready to switch on the main power contactor (or do you only use the contactor enable hardware signal?)
I'm a sparkie at a facility where an OEM is debugging a one of a kind machine. I cannot help with your code examples. I can tell you that before we used the contactor enable hardwire signal we lost 4 power supplies in about 8 months.

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
Old January 11th, 2015, 12:38 AM   #5
lostcontrol
New Zealand

Quote:
Yes I did. There are Motion examples, but I found noting for the Kinetix6500. And the 6500 AXIS_CIP_DRIVE structure is quite diffrent to the AXIS_SERVO_DRIVE structure.

My problem is to understand what all the information in the AXIS_CIP_DRIVE and MOTION_GROUP mean.
For example:

- Which bits should I use or should be true before doing an MSO, MAM, MAJ...
- Which information I can use for error detection. Do you use the AxisFault or the AxisStatus DINT or the BOOL variables for detecting that the drive is OK

How do you solve this issues. Does everyone knows a sample about that?

Thanks!
I can post some examples tomorrow of what I have done on a 6500 system, but I can tell you that the rack itself enables the main contactor when it's conditions are met.
Old January 11th, 2015, 08:20 AM   #6
taylor1982
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcontrol View Post
I can post some examples tomorrow of what I have done on a 6500 system, but I can tell you that the rack itself enables the main contactor when it's conditions are met.
Examples would be great. The contactor enable signal of both racks is used right now for switching on the main contactor.

Looking forward for the samples!

Greets to NZL. Was there in 2013 for a 4 weeks tour across both islands. It was unbelievable!

Steve
Old January 13th, 2015, 03:08 PM   #7
taylor1982
Germany

Anybody can help?
Thanks
Old January 13th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #8
lostcontrol
New Zealand

I sent you a PM with a brief example, did you get it?
Old January 13th, 2015, 04:15 PM   #9
taylor1982
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcontrol View Post
I sent you a PM with a brief example, did you get it?
Saw it right now. Didnīt get a message that I got a PM. Will study the example tomorrow. Thanks
Old January 13th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #10
ELake20
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

I used the motion accelerator toolkit from AB. Check it out the sample projects helped me out big time for my first Kinetix 6500 / CLX project!
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum