120V circuit breaker lockouts

Lockout Tagout

There are several good suggestions being proposed here. All have their own merits and pitfalls.

The device you choose should be selected after risk assessment. A lockout device similar to those made by Brady / Master Lock / Panduit are all good but can fall off.

A mechanical interlock similar to Kirk Key or Castell are a really robust approach but this is reflected in the price. They will need installing and become a permanent fixture on the host equipment.

A mechnical interlock, by its very nature interlocks one device with another. E.g. an isolating switch and a machine guard, thereby preventing entry to a hazardous area until power is isolated.

If any reader needs further help on this subject, drop me a line via [email protected].

Our facility uses pre-approved sheets in each area that have all the equipment that may need to be locked out on them. When we perfom a group lockout, we have two individuals (master/verifier) go around and hang locks on the equipment that is being isolated, then each initials that the locks are installed. If there is an isolation that is not standard, there are blank lines on the sheet for them to be added for documentation. Once the lockout is hung and verified, the sheet is hung on a clipboard by the group lock box and the master key is locked in the box by the master and verifier with their personal locks. Anyone who wants to work under the lockout has to review the sheet and is responsible to ensure the isolations will make the work they are doing safe. When work is complete, the master and verifier are the last ones to remove their locks.

As far as field disconnects, you can have one electrician use a Brady or similar device to isolate power to the component and then install the disconnect without having to shut the whole plant down...then the group of locks can be hung on the disconnect.

There are several good suggestions being proposed here. All have their own merits and pitfalls.

totallockout,

Here is a quote from one of the PDF's you linked to previously.

Example 1: Lockout Hasp (Multi-lock)

Figure 1 shows a typical lockout hasp. The jaws pass through the
isolation device or lockout device.

It will allow up to 6 individual padlocks to be fitted. The practice of
daisy-chaining1
multi lock hasps should not be undertaken.
daisychain.JPG
I'm having trouble understanding what the problem is with daisy chaining safety hasps. The PDF says it should not be under taken but doesn't mention why. I have been doing this for many years. Have I been wrong all this time?

I'm having trouble understanding what the problem is with daisy chaining safety hasps. The PDF says it should not be under taken but doesn't mention why. I have been doing this for many years. Have I been wrong all this time?

Probably just so that when you have an excessive number of locks dangling from one of their products and it is damaged, they can say "hey we warned you not to do that..."

At my new job they have many 120V items that need to be locked out so that maintenance can can be performed. Management desires a single circuit breaker lockout so that other processes and control can still function.

[/quote]
This is the exact reason I invented the Panel Lockout. It keeps the panel door locked and prevents the panel cover from being removed. You shut off the breakers you want locked out and leave on the ones that must remain in operation. No damage is done to the panel as the Panel Lockout attaches (in seconds) to the panel cover screws. Your safety cops should approve it because in a dire emergency the Panel Lockout can be removed by force and not do any damage to the panel. It satisfies the OSHA mandate that it can not be removed with moderate force.
You can see it at PanelLockout.com

Last edited: