1746-OW16 repairing and/or upgrade?

I know the feeling Eric

I had the wonderful opportunity to work on some mid to late 70's Cincinnati injection molding machines. These things were a nightmare. All of the machine control was done with a "homemade" looking electronic controller that consisted of a rack with several logic boards and several I/O boards, all interconnections between boards was done with yellow unmarked 22awg wire. And guessing by the number of smoked logic boards there was no isolation between the I/O and the Logic boards.

Talk about a birds nest.

One more question Cap'n - What part of the machine cycles so often?

We had the 'newer vintage' ones with Barber-Coleman controllers... :rolleyes:

I know all about those logic cards though. We had 40 or so VanDorns with "Pathfinder" controls. They never seemed to 'find' the right 'path' though... banghead

Now that I think about it, the customer I recently did the PET blow molder controls for just bought 5 new Milacron Roboshot all electric IMMs. Very impressive machines! I guess dropping the Cincinnati name helped?... :p

I'm not familiar with the Re-Heat Blow process, but I also wonder what is cycling that often... :confused:

beerchug

-Eric

(FUTW) :D

Re: Re: NEW TOPIC

Eric Nelson said:

Yes, but you don't know Cincinnati. We had a few of their injection molding machines at my previous employer. Trust me, electrical reliability was not their strong point... :rolleyes:

I say WAS, because hopefully, their new stuff might be better?... :confused:

beerchug

-Eric

I fully agree with you Eric with respect to the electrical reliability of Cincinnatti machines. We are curently using 8 of their mechanical shears withe electronic controllers (Cincinnatti too)
I very frequently experience problems with controllers loosing set points or getting frozen.
It looks like they are very sensitive to noise and they have surge supressors on all relay coils.
I've integrated 2 of them in an automated system (AB ControlLogix controlled)and added 3 more ice cube relays as an interface.
These 3 relays worsened the situation, controllers started to get frozen more often. The fix was to add surge supressors.
Even a 24VDC relay that has the coil supplied from an external source but is present within the same enclosure with the other relays (and separate from the controller enclosure) gives noise-related problems.

PS . And it is about aprox 30 to 40 seconds cyclig time.

Adding supressors accross inductive loads is proper thing to
and in DC circuits that supresor is tipically just a diode.

Some people rely on diodes which are integrated into output
card or don't even know what are they dealing with.

Some put diodes on the terminals in the main panel which are
closest to the output card instead of puting diodes
right at the coil.

This sure does clamp the voltage spikes and helps protect
outputs but the wires from diode to coil also act as antenas
sending 'ping' every time diode clips the spike of induced
voltage.

Depending on the current draw of the inductive load and number
of such outputs, it is possible to get enough noise to knock
out sensitive electronics.

Hi Captain2000

What kind of load are you switching? The reason I ask is I have seen these cards switch 4 times a second.The first two years it did this 24 - 7. Now it just does this 10 to 12 hours a day 5 or 6 days a week unless someone leaves the Estop on. This card isn`t switching any load just inputs back to the plc. It has been doing this for 4 years since we put the Estop in the circuit and is still clicking. I was begining to wonder if you could wear one of these cards out. After reading your post I guess maybe you can. I didn`t program this and when I saw it I thought this can`t last, but it has. May just be one tuff CARD I don`t know.

Tom