1747-AIC and SLC 5/03 Communications Issue

abend

I have the following Items connected for DH-485 per the drawing.

SLC 5/03
HMI: Automation Direct EA9-T10CL+13Y19B054
1747-AIC #1: connected directly to the SLC via 1747-C11 cable
1747-AIC #2: connected to 1747- AIC#1 via shielded cable

I can connect my laptop and communicate online with the SLC (via RJ-45 ports) from either of the 1747-AIC's with no issues.

If my laptop is connected to 1747-AIC #2 and online with the SLC and I attempt to plug the HMI RJ-45 cable into 1747-AIC #1, the HMI begins communicating online with the SLC, but severs my laptop connection with the SLC.

With my laptop disconnected from the AIC's, the HMI will operate when connected to 1747-AIC #1, but when the HMI is connected to 1747-AIC #2 it will not connect to the SLC.

SLC Channel 1: Node 1
C-More: Station: 1 Panel Station: 8

I've attempted to change the station number in RSLinx from 00 through 10 with the HMI still connected to 1747-AIC #2 and my laptop connected to 1747-AIC #1, but I get nothing.

Any suggestions of why there is a communications problem? Settings suggestions?

Setup.png

I have the following Items connected for DH-485 per the drawing.

SLC 5/03
HMI: Automation Direct EA9-T10CL+13Y19B054
1747-AIC #1: connected directly to the SLC via 1747-C11 cable
1747-AIC #2: connected to 1747- AIC#1 via shielded cable

I can connect my laptop and communicate online with the SLC (via RJ-45 ports) from either of the 1747-AIC's with no issues.

If my laptop is connected to 1747-AIC #2 and online with the SLC and I attempt to plug the HMI RJ-45 cable into 1747-AIC #1, the HMI begins communicating online with the SLC, but severs my laptop connection with the SLC.

With my laptop disconnected from the AIC's, the HMI will operate when connected to 1747-AIC #1, but when the HMI is connected to 1747-AIC #2 it will not connect to the SLC.

SLC Channel 1: Node 1
C-More: Station: 1 Panel Station: 8

I've attempted to change the station number in RSLinx from 00 through 10 with the HMI still connected to 1747-AIC #2 and my laptop connected to 1747-AIC #1, but I get nothing.

Any suggestions of why there is a communications problem? Settings suggestions?

what are you using to communicate with the dh485 network?

assuming since you have an AD HMI that you possibly bought the AD DH485 communication cable also?

Those have issues communicating over an AIC to other devices.

check the video for info on it, around 7m in.
https://youtu.be/2xQnY4DEvng

I also found this video last week, and he states issues with the generic version, but says the Allen Bradley version is supposed to see the network. I am using an original Allen Bradley 1747-UIC. I've tried the Allen Bradley UIC and the generic UIC and they both behave the same way.

The HMI and SLC were already in service for years. The C-more was on the DH485 socket of the SLC and the RS232 port is being used for ASCII communications. The C-more to SLC cable was made in-house way back during the installation of the machine, so it is sound. We are attempting to add another port for a laptop connection so we can get online with the PLC while it is running and still connected to the HMI. Just not able to get them both online at the same time.

So then with this new requirement, have you added the second AIC or did that already exist?

Have we added jumpers for pin 1 & 2 at one end, and to pins 5 & 6 on both ends of the network cable connecting the two AIC modules?

OG

Both AIC's were just added, and yes all jumpers in place. Communication is fine from RSlogix on the laptop to the SLC when connected to either AIC, but only if the HMI is disconnected. As soon as the HMI plug goes into the second AIC, the laptop communication is severed.

Both AIC's were just added, and yes all jumpers in place. Communication is fine from RSlogix on the laptop to the SLC when connected to either AIC, but only if the HMI is disconnected. As soon as the HMI plug goes into the second AIC, the laptop communication is severed.

sounds like it's conflicting. or possibly missing pin #5 on the comms cable? since it seems like you have no issue going point to point.

Edit: The in house cable sounds like the weak point here...

Last edited:
The reason I wonder about your cable is that PTP comms would work, but once something else comes online, it won't know what's communicating unless you have the Enable line signal....

maybe?

look at the note for your cable construction. maybe double check its there and working on both cables from hmi and uic.

ptp.PNG

I was going to replace that cable when the machine had some downtime because there are wirenuts involved and different cables spliced together. I traced out and documented all the existing wiring a while back, but never checked it against the AD wiring diagram. I just now checked it...This cable has pin 6 on the RJ45 connector connected to pin 5 on the 15-Pin D-sub. Pins 1 and 2 are the only connections that match the AD drawing. I'll be making up a new cable, but won't be able to test it until the machine is down!!!

Update. Finally had the chance to get back on this issue. Made up a new DH485 cable for the HMI, and bam!! I was able to connect immediately! Amazing what correct wiring will do for you. Thanks to IanM8040 for catching this... that cable has been on the machine for years and served its purpose, but it was really screwing me over.

Thanks to all for the assistance!

Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread. The DH485 communications lasted about two days then lost it completely. I connected the cable directly from the HMI to the SLC 503, and nothing. When I remove the wire from pin #6 "LE" on the 15 pin end of the cable I get point to point communications as before. It worked great for approx. two days, but now I'm back to the same scenario. Any ideas??? I'll post elsewhere, also.