1747-SDN firmware flash

This may seem trivial to some but i just stared flashing some eurotherm 6055 to Version 4.1 (I have older flash files as well). I figure that my AB scanner (1747-sdn) ver 4.26 is not able to recognize the newer files. So I downloaded the scanner upgrade and I have the files running on my notebook.
Using the controlflash software i am able to see the file 1747-sdn up grade file and when i try to connect i get all my RSlinx drivers. I have a PCD card that I am using to connect to the 1747-sdn so i figure go with this one. My comms time out and no upgrade.
I have spent the greater part of the day trying to find some literatuire that explains the process of upgrading the Scanner module, none that i have found.
So if anyone knows how this process is working please let me know. Is it a bit pattern that the scanner needs before upgrading the firmware, should the scanner be completely wiped before upgrading ?? Is the process of upgrading only possible with a 1770 KFD module (serial to Devicenet) Is it only possible to flash the unit from the processor path IE: DH+ to backplane .... ????

Thanks for answering, this process can't be that complicated.

I have used ControlFlash and a 1784-PCD card to upgrade numerous 1747-SDN scanners. The controller has to be in Program mode, but that's about it.

Can your 1784-PCD browse the network in RSLinx Classic ? Be certain you get the correct data rate configured on the PCD driver to match the scanner.

If you aren't certain about the data rate, power cycle the processor. The 1747-SDN will boot up by flashing in sequence:

1A
xx
yy

Where 6.26 is the firmware version (it's displayed in hex), xx is the data rate (00=125, 01=250, 02=500 kb/s) and yy is the node number of the 1747-SDN.

There's no reason, though, that you have to upgrade the scanner. The EDS files have nothing to do with the scanner's ability to communicate with your slave devices. Just update the electronic keying in the 1747-SDN scanlist to match the new firmware major revision of the slave devices and you're good.

Firmware version 8.005 is what I run on my Series C 1747-SDN's, and I run version 4.026 on the ones that are many years old.

Thanks Ken

I am swapping out my two AB PCMIA (PCD, DH+) cards without rebooting. I decided to re-boot my computer with a fresh start up i was able to upgrade the firmware.

My reason for the upgrade was the Parker/SSD 6055 were flashed to the latest on Friday. The network recognized that the modules as existing, My LED's were steady green, but everytime I went online with Devicenet i kept getting a red subtraction sign on the devices. After the 1747-SDN upgrade the units were recognized and I am able to see them in RSLINX as two drives as well as in Devicenet.

My alternate would have been to downgrade the Parker SSD firmware flash for the 6055 to V3.1 It just seemed better to go with V4.1. Note the 6055 firmware flash V4.1 has 30 words from the device and 12 words to the device.

I am doing a preliminary test for some work we have to schedule for this wednesday and I did not want to 'test' ideas on the plant floor.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Ron

Hmmm, that is strange. I concur with Ken, who is much more knowledgeable in these matters than I. I am running several 1747-SDN Scanners of different Firmware Revisions. All I have ever had to do when I upgraded or added a device, was to make sure I got the correct EDS for it, then all was good.

As long as upgrading the Firmware worked for you, that is the main thing.

Stu.....

It all started last week when i noticed these Parker SSD 6055's had version 1.01 in them no EDS files available, then I spoke with them and they gave me a method to upgrade these units without having to send them in (make a cable....) anyway I then did everything I had done before and tried to work with the scanner, I did not know I could change the electronic keying (See Ken's answer below;

"There's no reason, though, that you have to upgrade the scanner. The EDS files have nothing to do with the scanner's ability to communicate with your slave devices. Just update the electronic keying in the 1747-SDN scanlist to match the new firmware major revision of the slave devices and you're good."

Point is the installed Parker SSD EDS files were recognized by the software(Devicenet) and I could see the installed units in the Scanner but a red box with a yellow line in the upper center of the device, each time I went on line i got the same result. Had I changed the electronic keying I would have foregone the scanner firmware blast.

The nice thing is I know have a 1747-SDN V6.02 Series B for my projects. And I know that it can be done.

Regards

Ron

Preload a 1747-SDN

I have a *.dnt file for the line we are going to work on this week. I tried to install this file into my test scanner with the intention of using this scanner for the initial conversion, it will be installed in the same slot and physical rack size.

When opened the program I could see all of the I/O modules (~35 Omron I/O's) When I went on line with the scanner the program proceded to place red squares with yellow lines on every item. I am left wondering if it is at all possible to somehow upload these into the scanner and can the scanner function without the devices being physically there. I tried for several hours to upload the file into my scanner. When i tried to open the the scanner I can see the files in the devicenet program but for some reason or other I cannot seam the load the file after I go on line.

Do I need to wipe the scanner first ?? As I had left it with program address 63. And after the scan there are two scanners shown: 0 is the scanner i want to use, 63 was a previous test program. I will try tomorrow to wipe the Scanner completely.

Another issue i have is I left the scanner the previous night, I turned off everything. In the morning I turned everything back on, I attached to the scanner with Devicenet and proceded by opening the previous night file, I then hit the browse network and the devices on my page did not syncronize, i believe i got red squares with yellow lines or yellow question marks.

I could see the devices using RSLINX =>PCD and they were there.

I finally went back in the software and hit NEW and then browsed a blank page, this did the trick it opened the 'line' with all the correct pieces on the line, i was able to double click any of them to see what they were.

Why does this not syncronize like a PLC program, you have the original file, should it not check for a matching file and then continue ..

Thanks